PDA

View Full Version : My New 25 Cal Wildcat

Pages : [1] 2

scope eye
04-07-2014, 06:58 PM
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b536/jazzygirl44/unnamed1111_zps6cac0ef7.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jazzygirl44/media/unnamed1111_zps6cac0ef7.jpg.html)

It is a 25 Remington Ultra Mag all 110gr of it, with a 257 Weatherby 80gr capacity, a 25-06 AI 65gr capacity, and a 223ai for comparison purposes, the barrel is a Mcgowen 30" 14 twist varmint profile, I will be able to send any bullet I choose that is available for this caliber even the 120s, I will most likely be sending Nosler ballistic tip 85gr @ 4800fps+ and there 100gr @ 4500 fps+ I have some 70gr Blitz kings that I will be sending over the 5000fps+ mark hopefully all under a half Min, I had the taper on the barrel start further down so I could get at least 6 resets, I don't get as excited as I use to when I get a new barrel, but this one has me all hot and bothered, I will give a full report as soon as I can.

Dean

PS: All Work Was Performed Flawlessly By Apache Gun Works

pdog2062
04-07-2014, 08:10 PM
I guess the top speed you are after is the speed of the gasses going down the barrel,sounds as if you are almost there.Keep after it and keep giving us updates.Love to hear about your new cartridges.

scope eye
04-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Thank god for tax returns, I forgot to mention the dies used, for the neck and shoulder I used 25 WSSM dies, and there is no fire forming needed, I also used them for seat the bullets, and a gutted 7mm RUM or 300 RUM for full length sizing, I already had those so that made it easy.

Dean

quarterbore
04-07-2014, 08:26 PM
All I can say is wow.....

snowgetter1
04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
All I can say is wow.....

Uh...ya.. What he said. That is some serious speed! Should make a good p-dog gun!

scooterf79
06-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Wow! Almost doesnt even look right, bullet that small sittin on that much powder....absolutely awesome! Cant wait to hear the range report!
Scooter

gotcha
06-11-2014, 01:26 PM
WOW is right! That thing should turn 'yotes inside out.

cranebird
06-12-2014, 06:59 PM
WOW is right! That thing should turn 'yotes inside out.

Now I want one !

scope eye
06-12-2014, 07:24 PM
I just got my hands on some Bergers some VLD 115s, I was not aware they made such nice bullets in 25Cal, and the BC is half decent also.

Dean

scooterf79
06-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Didnt even dawn on me you didnt have those, I've got some you coulda tried. They shoot really well out of my 257 wby
Scooter

LoneWolf
06-13-2014, 04:28 AM
I was actually playing with the Berger ballistics calculator with these the other day base on your 25 RUM Dean. I figured you'd probably get them up around 4500FPS or so. It was something like 3Mils to 1000yds......

scope eye
06-13-2014, 06:39 AM
I never think of using Bergers since I have never seen them, up here in the northeast on the shelves of any gun store, are they online order only? from them or the big box guys, this is a partial box that I got so we will see, I can't wait to defy all common trends and beliefs, that you can't stabilize a 115gr out of a 14 twist. LOL

Dean

scooterf79
06-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Cabelas has them around here but thats about the only local store that has them here. Ill be looking forward to hearing/seeing your results with them. This might sound a lil odd, but Im not sure Ive made my complete judgement on game performance yet. They seem to do what they say as far as performance (go in a few inches and disintegrate) but I had a pretty lenghty tracking job last fall with one. Shot was quartering away....ended up going in around 3/4 way back of the ribs and still found its way through the heart. Insides were obliterated, but I had no exit wound and found no blood...weather wasnt the greatest mind you (dark, had rained on and off and the hill was terribly thick and brushy). Kinda got me thinking maybe had the bullet made an exit it woulda helped with the blood trail. Im not gonna write this bullet off by any means just got me to thinking myself. The accuracy just got me hooked. Other times(I can think of about 4kills...WT deer) Ive used them and theyve been bang flop, so thats why ill keep using them to further my experience with them
Scooter

dk17hmr
06-14-2014, 12:11 AM
..... I can't wait to defy all common trends and beliefs, that you can't stabilize a 115gr out of a 14 twist. LOL

Dean

You can usually stabilize long bullets in a slow twist if you push them hard....you shouldn't have a problem with that. They might get squirrely at 1500-2000 yards though. I had that problem with a 105gr going 3450fps out of my 243 Super Rock Chucker with a 1:10 twist shot great out to about 1400 yards, at 1500 yards they weren't MOA anymore.

25 calibers are my favorite, I would look at the 110gr Accubond for that beast.

emtrescue6
06-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Cabelas has them around here but thats about the only local store that has them here. Ill be looking forward to hearing/seeing your results with them. This might sound a lil odd, but Im not sure Ive made my complete judgement on game performance yet. They seem to do what they say as far as performance (go in a few inches and disintegrate) but I had a pretty lenghty tracking job last fall with one. Shot was quartering away....ended up going in around 3/4 way back of the ribs and still found its way through the heart. Insides were obliterated, but I had no exit wound and found no blood...weather wasnt the greatest mind you (dark, had rained on and off and the hill was terribly thick and brushy). Kinda got me thinking maybe had the bullet made an exit it woulda helped with the blood trail. Im not gonna write this bullet off by any means just got me to thinking myself. The accuracy just got me hooked. Other times(I can think of about 4kills...WT deer) Ive used them and theyve been bang flop, so thats why ill keep using them to further my experience with them
Scooter

They really aren't designed as a hunting round, but Berger does make a hunting bullet now I hear. When hunting I want a round that's gonna go bang flop, but in those few instances that they don't go flop, I want a bullet that will exit and give me a good blood trail. I hate to have to track animals, but hate losing one even more...

scooterf79
06-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Guess I should have clarified, I was using the 115gr Hunting VLD, sorry
Scooter

emtrescue6
06-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Guess I should have clarified, I was using the 115gr Hunting VLD, sorry
Scooter

OK...well that reinforces my decision to avoid Bergers....LOL

cranebird
06-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Can we get an update ??? The suspense is killing me.

scope eye
06-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Sorry nothing to report yet my permit is taking forever, life in MA really Bites.

Dean

cranebird
06-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Sorry nothing to report yet my permit is taking forever, life in MA really Bites.

Dean

Not any better here in NY either. They have the new compliant AR's in stock at the local gun shop. They are more messed up than a soup sandwich, general all around messed up feel to them.