PDA

View Full Version : NightForce competition 15-55x52

Pages : [1] 2

Cat 64
04-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I am looking at C457 or C492. Anyone has any experience with any of those? Mostly shooting bench rest and prone up to 1 mile.

yobuck
04-07-2014, 05:52 PM
While im not familiar with the scopes you mention, i have a nxs 8x32 i use for long range shooting.
Personaly im not interested in more power and could no doubt get by with less than i have.
Conditions will often dictate power more so than our own preference. There is a bench rest model
8x32x also which has less elevation adjustment than the nxs model. For the distance your considering
this could be very important. Id be calling Euro Optic in Montoursville Pa and asking these questions of
Jason Baney. He is a 1000 yd shooter as well as an expert on all the high end scopes. On a score of a possible 10
they would be a 12 to deal with.

Alleycat72
04-08-2014, 10:16 PM
I have one. It's a good scope, but you have to get use to the eye box. The 2014 model has 10 minutes per revolution on the turrets.

barrel-nut
04-09-2014, 07:38 AM
The 2014 also has the Zero Stop feature. The one I have is from last year, and does not have these features, and was the same price. GRRRRR......

barrel-nut
04-09-2014, 07:55 AM
I just looked at the Euro optics site. Wow. Great prices. Now I'm really aggravated 😡

ghostwriter247
04-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Not to run salt in the wounds but im pretty excited. I just ordered one for my 10ba. Should b here Wednesday!

barrel-nut
04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Hey I'm happy for you ghostwriter! I think you'll enjoy it. And if you got it at the prices that EuroOptics was advertising, it is a comparatively good deal. Still up in the stratosphere price-wise for a scope, but much better than what I paid. I really wish these scopes would come down to a more realistic price- maybe in the $1000 range? Probably not gonna happen though.

ghostwriter247
04-10-2014, 07:57 PM
I struggled with the price. I hadn't ever paid more than 150 for a scope and thought about going with a bench rest model but figured id pony up and see what all the hub bub is about.

barrel-nut
04-10-2014, 07:59 PM
I understand completely. I still question my sanity about this buy. But hey, you only live once, right?

ghostwriter247
04-10-2014, 08:34 PM
That's what I figured too.

barrel-nut
05-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Ghostwriter, you get a chance to try yours out yet? What do you think?

ghostwriter247
05-01-2014, 01:12 AM
i finally did yesterday. had a couple of hiccups, it originally shipped with nightforce rings when i ordered the unimount, but finally got it out ot the range and stunning doesn't begin to describe it. The clarity is amazing. 308 size holes stick out like a sore thumb at 330 yards. The reticle is crisp. I'm still getting used to the eye relief but the reticle doesn't fade like im used to on cheaper scopes. I went with the ddr2 and the target dot is tiny on a three inch bull at that yardage. I went back and forth between that and the hash marks but i found i really liked how uncluttered the target dot style is in comparison with my mil dot scopes. Thats the main problem i have on my crossfire is the reticle size. its a great scope but the crosshairs obscure a half inch dot at a 100 yards.

Im pretty sure i could resolve 223 holes at that yardage as well.

At 55 times you gotta be steady, there is alot of jiggle, but it certainly reveals form issues (and i can always dial down)

I was shooting ladders so can't speak to tracking but i had 2 holes touching at that yardage. (in the interest of full disclosure i should mention it was strapped into a lead sled at the time.)

Good stuff. cant wait to get it out this weekend and shoot groups with my bipod now that i have my load dialed in. I havent chronied my load yet, so im going to be staying around 420 yards but once i get the fps dialed in ill stretch that to 800 and see how i do. Im pretty stoked.

barrel-nut
05-01-2014, 04:03 AM
That's great to hear gw. Sounds like you're pleased with it. I've yet to actually shoot with mine yet, as I'm saving it for my 6brx build (that may end up being the most prolonged project ever for me). I really hope to get to shoot with it soon though. You've got me stoked too.

ghostwriter247
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
You are a better man than me. I would have had to pull out the first rifle i saw and "tested" it out until the brx was built.

scope eye
05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
My highest magnification scope I have is a, Sightron 36X on my 6mm BRX and I can stabilize it fine, I mounted a Sightron 10-50X60 on the same gun, and was never able to do anything past 40X, the guy who I was going to buy it from said it takes a little time, he never said how much time, I never found out the guy who was suppose to buy my 36X bailed, and the 50X did not want any partial trades. Oh well maybe some day and that is a $1000.00 scope, I can't even Imagine a $2300.00 scope, maybe If I shot only 223s and stop consorting with RUMs I could afford one.

Dean

ghostwriter247
05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
scope eye, i thought long and hard before i shucked out. The sightrons are good stuff. Its been everything i could do not to buy other guns in order to afford the scope. Ive managed to keep it to 308 and 223 for right now, but I really want a 338 lapua and a 6.5 creedmore. I shot it at 125 yards and there is a lot of jiggle off the harris bipod. Really going to try to work on my form this year and the magnification will certainly do that.

Mike Vegas
05-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Nightforce scopes are awesome! I used to have the 12-42x56mm and they worked well for the 1K yard benchrest. I used to have two other NF scopes too, but if you thought NF glass are nice, wait til you get one of those Bushnell HDMR, Zeis, Premier, US Optics etc. You'll cry once for a long time, and it would be the only time...

The great thing about buying your scope is, you get a two in one; rifle scope and a spotting scope! Cheers!!!

Cat 64
05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
All the guys at the range looking through the NF x55 glass said they will have a hard time going back to looking through their own (or any other for that matter). I know and I agree it is darn expensive, but I looked at this as a purchase I will treasure forever. It is an amazing piece of shooting equipment.One of the reasons I got it was because I discovered the beauty of Savage modular build...and thus, now that I have the stock-action-scope combination I love, by simply switching the barrel, I have a different gun. Intrinsically, I spent more on the scope but the cost is offset by “putting off” buying another rifle.

ghostwriter247
05-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Cat, have you gotten yours yet?

Cat 64
05-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Yes. I had it for couple of weeks now and it is an impressive piece of equipment. I don't want anything else now. Is yours in?