PDA

View Full Version : fumbles new 110e

fumbles
04-07-2014, 04:15 AM
hello all. new to the site, first post. I just traded for a new to me older savage 110e 30-06 this week, really nice rifle, has that "feel" to it, can't wait to fire it. my friend (that got it for me) says I gave too much for it but I liked it and it was exactly what I was looking for so who cares if I gave too much right? a brand new one that looks like mine costs over 700 bux and I gave 350 for this one (sort of, I traded ammo for it).
its a nice rifle, has a dark (walnut?) stock with checker on the wrist and fore end, stock has just a few minor mars on it (safe marks) and the bore is bright and crisp. 3.5# smooth glass break trigger.
my question is how the heck do I find out what year it was born since savage doesn't have an archive to reference? serial is E194XXX has a modern style bolt in it. i'm thinking late 70's-mid 80's? but I cant nail it down. also, the scope mount on it is a one piece that runs across the ejection port and if I use that I have to use solid mounts and I want to put my see-through mounts on it so I can access the irons if a deer wanders up too close for the scope. the problem is the back of the receiver is flat and lower than the front, the front is rounded. the one piece mount is designed for that but my see-throughs are made to go on a rounded receiver. so, I need new see-throughs but can't find any. does anyone sell 100 specific see-through mounts? if I mismatch flat and rounded mounts they wont line up and the scope wont be parallel to the bore. any info greatly appreciated. not sure how this works, I guess if someone replies it emails me a notification? thanks

fumbles
04-07-2014, 04:19 AM
correction, a new one similar to this one is about 600, not over 700, I looked at the wrong price. but that IS at the cheapest gun store around here so it could be more elsewhere, I just wanted to clear that up so I don't sound like an exaggerator, as I am not.

fumbles
04-07-2014, 04:20 AM
also, it might help to say that this rifle has an enclosed mag, no floor plate on the stock.

Mad Dog
04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
I see what you mean.

It was made in 1983 and I just had a look at one in the 1983 catalog, all the models back then were made with a flat back, surely somebody must offer mounts for it, I'll dig around.

Mad Dog
04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
I hate posting Ebay ads in my section of this forum but in this case Ilet it pass, I think this is what your looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ironsighter-Scope-Mount-Model-741-for-Savage-110-See-thru-c-No-Reserve-/171288825257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e19c0da9

sixonetonoffun
04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
I had those on my 110 didn't love them. Too high and to see the irons you literally had to put your eye socket on the stock. I removed the rear sight (leaving the rough dovetail exposed) bought an egw rail shortened it to the front screw. Now my 44mm bell has plenty of room and eye relief is set back where I wanted.

Removing the rear sight seemed sacralidious but it could go back on again.

J.Baker
04-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Most everyone still makes bases for the older flat-back receivers since they were offered that way for over 45 years. They will be listed under Savage 10-16 or 111-116 and be described as for a "flat back", "Pre-AccuTrigger", or "Pre-2003" models.