PDA

View Full Version : Hogue full bed vs Choat Ultimate Varmiter, vs Boyd's Tacticool vs B&C Medalist

Dogtired
04-07-2014, 12:30 AM
Which one's the best and why? Go!

Ok, so I'm looking, over time, at building out my Stevens 200 into a long-range tack driver. It's not bad now--MOA or better at 100, but I'd like to be sub MOA at 200. I figure the three things to change out are: trigger (already have a Rifle Basix to install), a barrel (have a thread over in that section), and stock.

This is going to be my all-purpose awesomeness rifle--hunting deer all-year round in all weather conditions with shots up to 300+yards on deer or coyotes; 400 on varmints. To that end, it has to be portable--can't lug a 30 lbs gun over hill and dale for three or four hours a night. Looking for a good compromise between weight and accuracy (well, technically, I'd rather NOT compromise, but I get the sense that there will always be something of a compromise between the two). I'd prefer to NOT have to bed if I don't need to. I have a Boyds thumbhole on my 110 in 30-06 that seems to have opened up my groups a bit after installation--thinking it needs to be bedded--so there's already a possible strike against the Tacticool in my thinking anyway.

Looking to put on (maybe) a 26" stainless 1:10 fluted varmint barrel (hope that gives me the benefits of the accuracy of a heavier barrel without all the weight) with a flash (or possibly someday noise) suppressor. Will need to mount a short rail on the front (or side) to run a light at night and/or a bipod.

What's the best stock for this build? Anyone like their Hogue full bed--I've heard rumores that some are still too flexible in the forend? Is the Choat too dang heavy and cumbersome (should be a couple pounds lighter than the ultimate sniper at any rate)? Is the B&C worth the $50 more than the Hogue? Is the Boyds accurate? Anyone find they are needing to bed it?

Then there is the "cool" factor. Yes, I admit I am lame and want it to be "sniper-esque." But if I'm dropping the coin, I might as well make it look aesthetically pleasing as well (yes, function over form, but both would be ideal).

Price is another factor. I really can't see more than $2-300 for a stock.

I await your collective wisdom! Thanks!

RyanG
04-07-2014, 09:25 AM
I own both the Tacticool and the Hogue. I have the Hogue on a Model 111 in 300 WinMag that I use for hunting and I love it. It has the full action bed but I skim bedded it anyway. That rifle now is one of the most accurate rifles I have. Its still all factory with the exception of the stock. It will literately shoot clover leaves at 100 yards with 190 grain Sierra Gamekings. I was a little worried that the sticky rubber on the stock was going to rip my face off with the 300 but it does not and its a pleasure to shoot. I dont shoot off of a bipod so its plenty stiff enough for my rifle. I usually shoot from prone off of my pack when in the field. I would buy another Hogue for a hunting rifle.

The tacticool IMO isn't a great hunting stock. I love mine and its very stiff. Especially after I bedded it. (Yes I think that all stocks need to be bedded). But its a bit bulky for the field I think. Now I say that I have yet had mine into the field. I have one on my 260 Ackley and I just put one on my son's 6.5-47 Lapua and I love them for shooting off of a bag or the bipod. The stock is SOLID and I like that.

I dont have much experience with the other two stocks you listed. I did build a 65.284 on a Bell and Carlson for a buddy. I like the way it looked and the rifle shot half MOA, in my son's hands.

Im glad that I am not trying to build "JUST ONE ALL AROUND" rifle. My hat is off to you and I truly hope you pull it off. Please keep us updated how you progress. Just know that these Savage things are addicting and so far the 12 step programs have not worked for me. Hope I helped a little.

Ryan

Luke45
04-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Tacticool or houge are going to be best best on weight compared to the Choate, i have a tactool as well as the choate fully aluminum bedded. the tacticool is ALOT lighter than the choate and is by no means to large to hunt with, but it will definitly need to be bedded and have the barrel channel opened up if you are usinganything other than a factory barrel. I have a tacticool on a 280AI magnum contour barrel and the whole set up is a tad over 9 lbs. the choate stock is great, but its a tank, it wieghs over 4 lbs just by itself

hafejd30
04-07-2014, 07:54 PM
I have the choate ultimate varminter, choate tactical, and 2 hs precisions in the pro-series line. One with standard grip like the 12lrp came with and one with vertical grip like the LE models have. I like the choate tactical the best. It's solid, has a nice setup for sling swivels and the bipod is easily adjusted or removed due to the rail system on the forend. I replaced the standard grip hs with the tactical choate. Prefer the vertical grip. Just another stock to consider in your price range.