PDA

View Full Version : Help Trigger problems

BigNed
04-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Hello, here goes went to range today with 2 Savage Rifles, # 1 Savage model 11 308 win. bull barrel just bought from Dicks 2 weeks ago New, second rifle Savage model 12 FVSS 308 win. 26" bull barrell here's the problem, on both rifles the trigger locks up and can't fire sometimes, what gives both are accutriggers, I tried 3 types of ammo, PMC, FEDERAL, and PPU all 308 win. the PPU won't let me lock the bolt, I tried 3 different boxes all the same problem. So I used PMC & FEDERAL both work most of the time, but like I said both accutrigger's lock up , what gives. need help new guy here. Ned forgot to mention both guns work great without bullets in the dry fire every time????????

foxx
04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
My guess is the Accutrigger is not set properly or you are not pulling trigger properly. Be sure to press the blade first and then the trigger straight back. If your finger presses the main trigger first then the trigger will fall but the blade will not clear to allow the sear to fall all the way. Hard to figure it, though, because you say it is dry firing alright...

Still, try adjusting the pull weight. It is likely triggering partially but the safety blade is keeping the sear from falling. OR, the trigger is set so light it is dropping when you close the bolt. (Dropping, but the blade is still catching it, preventing a premature fire.)

To verify this is the problem, try to INTENTIALLY pull the trigger without touching the blade. You will see what happens when the blade is not pressed first like it is designed.

short round
04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
As for the PPU not allowing the bolt to lock, either the brass is sized not to fit your chamber, or the bullets are seated to long, were the PPU bullets heavier, thus making them longer. Check to see if the bullets that would not chamber have marks from rifling, if they are marked they are to long. Now for trigger problem. Does the trigger lock up when closing the bolt, if so adjust the trigger spring to a heavier setting. If the trigger locks up when being pressed, the trigger is being pressed without pressing the safety lever in the trigger, you will hear click, no bang. The sound you hear is the safety lever blocking the sear.

BigNed
04-06-2014, 07:17 PM
went back out & tighten accutrigger up just a little both work good, as for the PPU ammo it's tight but works. thanks all for the help, I learned something new today. Ned

surfcitydude
04-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Another junk AccuTrigger. Google AccuTrigger problems and join the mases.

foxx
04-08-2014, 12:31 AM
The Accutrigger does what it is designed to do and be. It is a user-adjustable trigger that has a built-in safety feature to prevent accidental firing of the rifle if it is dropped or bumped. If it is set below the draw weight it is designed for, the safety blade will, as designed and intended, prevent the sear from fully dropping. Even when set to a proper pull weight, some people still have difficulty operating it correctly, because they do not press the safety blade rearward far enough to disengage it prior to pressing the main trigger. Savage does not consider that a design flaw, nor do 1,000's of satisfied owners. IMHO it is a great design intended to allow the average hunter to more safely carry his/her rifle in the field and still enjoy a relatively light trigger pull. Certainly lighter, potentially, than most hunters even prefer.

mtHunter82
04-08-2014, 09:32 AM
I had the same problem with my first Accutrigger, but found out it was me with lousy trigger habits. I wasn't pulling the trigger straight back, but more in a diagonal pull, resulting in the catch not releasing all the way. Overall, I believe the Accutrigger is one of the best triggers out there. I'd never hump the brush with a 2lb trigger from any other manufacturer.

BigNed
04-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Yes you guys are right it's ME I was not pulling the safty part all the way in before the trigger engages, I'm stilling replaceing the trigger on my model 12 FVSS & leave the other Savages alone, thanks for all the help with a new be. NED from PA.

04-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I like what David Tubb says about how and where to touch the trigger with your trigger finger. He recommends touching the trigger with the part of your trigger finger that you would use to pick up a small object (like a BB). For me, if I touch the "safety lever" of the Accutrigger with that part of my index finger, then when I'm ready to break the sear, I have total control, and it's a much more "straight back" motion that you get when you use that part of your finger, as opposed to the crook at the first joint in your finger...

mtHunter82
04-09-2014, 10:57 AM
I totally agree 1.618. As for the folks that blast the Accutrigger, when I experienced my troubles with it, I naturally took it apart, looked at how it worked, and quickly determined it was my lousy trigger habits. There is NO DESIGN FLAW! All the bad reviews are from folks that refuse to admit that they are the problem! "I've been shooting 30 years, so it's not me!" I had been shooting for almost 30 years when I got my first Accutrigger, and found out REAL quick that I had some bad trigger habits.

BigNed
04-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Hello all again well I adjusted my accutriggers up WOW shot great no lockup's & at 300 yards bull's eye's.