PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: About had a heart attack!

J.Baker
04-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Went to the local gun show yesterday and about had myself a heart attack as there was not one, not two, not three....but four (YES FOUR!) Model 99's there. Now mind you, in the 15 or so years that I've been a Savage nut I've only seen 2 or 3 Model 99's show up at this show, so to have 4 there at the same time is unfathomable.

I know you'll want details Joe, but you know I don't know enough about 99's to tell you what I was looking at. One looked like a standard 99 with the Schnobel forend and pistol grip stock and was chambered in .300 Savage for $750. The second (same table) was a 99 Featherweight in .300 Savage for $875. Price on those two seemed high to me considering their condition, but then again I think all 99's are priced high anymore. The third looked to be a later (post mil) model with the blocky forend with basket weave checkering, but no tag indicating the price or caliber and the guy about ripped my head off when I tried to pick it up. The forth one I didn't get a look at as the guy was there trying to sell it to the guy with #3 on his table, but I overheard him say it was a .308 Win and I could see that it was a detachable magazine model.

Mad Dog
04-06-2014, 04:04 PM
So you saw a 99EG, an F, a 99E and a 99C.

All sound way over priced but that's a gun show for you.

I went to a gun show yesterday in Michigan and saw the same thing.

Saw a 99K which would usually fetch about $3000 but this one had been shaved, restocked, rebarreled and no real finish left on the receiver and the guy wanted $800 for it, I about laughed out loud when I saw the price.

Saw a Savage 220 single shot in 28 ga with a $500 price tag on it, to funny.

J.Baker
04-06-2014, 06:32 PM
With how rare 99's are in these parts the dealers think they've struck gold whenever they get their hands on one. There were a couple 1914's there that tempted me a little, and a real nice Model 23 that really tempted me, but I managed to get out of there without buying anything other than a couple raffle tickets and 3 boxes of .38 Special ammo.

wbm
04-06-2014, 08:00 PM
They are a bit pricey now! I keep looking on the Navajo and Zuni reservations for 99's. Last two I got set me back $250 each believe it or not. Tore my jeans pocket getting the cash out.

Mad Dog
04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
All I ended up leaving with was a Lyman 57 peep sight for a 99 for $10, couldn't go wrong there.