PDA

View Full Version : Barrels for a 25-06?

Dogtired
04-06-2014, 04:03 AM
I am contemplating--as resources allow (probably over then next several years)--building off of my Stevens 200. Still figuring out what I'm thinking here, but ultimately I want to replace the stock, trigger, and barrel. I already have a Rifle Basix trigger that I will one day install to get it it to break right around 2 lbs. Next decision is the barrel (which will influence stock options as well). Having never done something like this before, I am fairly lost.

I'm a man on a budget. A tight budget.

I love the 25-06 cartridge and currently have two rifles chambered in it--one being the Stevens. Now, I'm a sucker for stainless, and to me, that's the second biggest shortcoming (next to the tupperware stock)of the rifle. This would be my my all-weather, all-seasons gun. I'm often on a kill permit that allows spotlighting on a large farm for the 4 months out of the year that I can't already legally hunt deer during the day. With shots of 100-250 the norm (with the chance to shoot some at 300+ yards at times as well) and with the fact that I'm gonna be hauling this thing over hill and dale for hours at a time, I'm wanting tack-driving accuracy at moderate ranges that won't break my shoulder. It will also double as a varmint gun shooting out to potentially 400+ yards.

I am thinking a stainless fluted heavy varmint barrel might be the best compromise option. The stocks I'm looking at being able to afford--Choate Ultimate Varmint, Houge full bed, B&C Medallist, or Boyds (although then I'd need to bed it (have one on my 30-06 that actually made my groups open up) and probably inlet it if using a heavier barrel...)--already run a little heavier than the stock I have. Ideally, I'd also like to get the end threaded--flash suppressor now, noise suppressor later, with any sort of luck. Also looking for a drop in--not a blank. No stinkin' clue what I'd do with a blank.

So my questions are these:

1. Is this the right barrel design (fluted stainless varmint) for my application? All-weather, all-seasons; hauling around all over; shooting up to 10-15 times in a 2-3 hour period at times; reaching out to touch something accurately at moderately long distances?

2. Is it possible to get Savage to rebarrel this? If so, would they even have a barrel similar to what I'm talking about? I know they USED to make a stainless fluted bull barrel, but I'm thinking that might be a little heavy. Just a regular stainless barrel? Would that even be a good option? I've had roughly MOA with the factory barrel, but I'd like to be able to have MOA out to 200 yards vice 100.

3. Are there any good recommendations for someone not looking to drop more than $300-500 on a barrel such as I am describing? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on Shilen of late--kinda a 50-50 chance on whether it will be better or worse than your factory barrel. Anyone have any comments? Any better options? Gunshack doesn't currently have what I'm looking for and McGowen's site only lists a bull barrel for the 25-06 in stock, although for about $550, it looks like I might be able to order what I'm looking for....

4. Is there something else I'm missing here? Something I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance!

snowgetter1
04-06-2014, 08:42 AM
These are not stainless, but I have had two factory savage 25-06 varmint barrels purchased from the classified here. Both are really good shooters. The cheapest aftermarket stainless in probably ER Shaw. They are good barrels, but it will still be around 250-300$. Or just post a want to buy out there for the 25-06. Something will come up. Good luck.

Dogtired
04-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Are the ER Shaw better shooters than the factory barrels? Do they make them fluted? Can I get a barrel directly from Savage? This is long term thinking. I can't afford one right now :)

snowgetter1
04-06-2014, 05:30 PM
The er shaw barrels I have are easy3/4 shooters. Better than factory, I would say equal to factory. I do not believe you can buy a barrel direct from savage. The two used varmint barrels I bought on here were 100-150$.

foxx
04-06-2014, 05:47 PM
From what I hear, a good barrel maker/finisher can make an ER Shaw blank into an even better shooter than what you get from them finished. No guarantees, but some can be pretty dang good. Apache Gun Works is a supporter of this site and has a reputation for building them considerably better than Savage factory barrels. Of course, a Savage barrel can be really good. Sometimes they turn out to be far better than Savage would claim them to be. I plan on getting a 260AI sporter from Apache one of these days.

snowgetter1
04-06-2014, 09:47 PM
True. Apache is a good way to go!

Dogtired
04-07-2014, 12:08 AM
So how does something like that work and what would the overall cost be in the ballpark of? Sorry, complete NuB.

Maybe I just need to get over the "it's not stainless" thing and wear out the current barrel ;)

There's just something sooooo appealing though about trying to build one out :)

snowgetter1
04-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Any new aftermarket prefit will run $200-350. You could order and ER Shaw directly from them, check out McGowan too, or email Apache. He does not have a 25-06 reamer, but does have a 25-06AI. I think NSS had a 25-06 varmint barrel listed in stock, this would be the fastest way to a new barrel. Or just put a want to buy ad up on here. Like I said earlier the two used savage varmint barrels I have had are really good shooters.

Once you get the barrel you will need a barrel nut wrench and go gauge at a minimum to change the barrel. An action wrench really helps though. Depending where you live a member could be close to you to help or someone could loan you the tools to change the barrel.

Dogtired
04-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Much obliged amigo!