PDA

View Full Version : 111 stock.

jlaz90
04-04-2014, 09:51 AM
I really dont have 500 dollars to buy a new stock with so i guess my question is , can you sand out a 111 with a sporter barrel stock to fit a criterion varmint barrel? and is it worth it if the stock is bedded properly.

foxx
04-04-2014, 10:19 AM
I do not know if it is worth trying. The factory stock is not well reviewed.

Boyds has nice wood options for $100 though.

jlaz90
04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
i looked at the boyds stocks but they seem to be too small as well. If i was to buy one i would want it to fit not have to be sanded out. hmm

olddav
04-04-2014, 11:17 AM
I sanded a 110 stock to accept a Shilen Barrel with a varmint contour. It did seem a bit thin, but so far no issues.

I also pillar bedded the stock with homemade pillars and Accuglass Gel.
To sand the channel out it will take some time and is a bit of a pain, but it can be done.

CAPTBEACH
04-04-2014, 11:48 AM
YOu can make a tool to do it fairly easily...

18" 3/8 threaded rod some nuts and loc washers
Stainless washers a little larger than the circumference of the current channel graduating up to the finished channels contour...
A large dowel drilled out to slip over the threaded rod or a piece of plastic/rubber tubing to slide over it as a handle

IN a vise put a small bend into the rod at about 6"

Place the washers into the vise and dremel/file/grind an edge onto them not damaging the circumference of the washer...your making a round chisel or spoke shave blade

Start with the smaller washer and drag it like a spoke shave down the barrel channel from receiver end to the end of the stock...repeat until you need to work up tot he next largest washer until you have removed all the wood you need to...sand smooth and apply an epoxy sealer, glass bed your action to the stock...

foxx
04-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Boyds stocks are available with both factory sporter contour and factory varmint contour barrels. It is probably easier (though neither is difficult nor does it require any skill) to open up the barrel channel of a Boyds stock than the factory polymer stock you have. The real difference is, when you are done with the Boyds stock, it will perform better b/c it is not flimsy.

But I guess if you want to try to open up the factory stock you can measure it and see. If there is enough material there, go for it. You will probably need to add some kind of epoxy like JB Weld so as to stiffen and strengthen it up when you are done.

Good luck.

Sound like the Captain knows what he's talking about. :)

olddav
04-04-2014, 05:30 PM
You know there is one thing I may not have been clear on, The stock I opened was a wood stock.
Not sure how a plastic stock will fair.

big honkin jeep
04-04-2014, 07:36 PM
I have stretched a factory synthetic from a standard 110 to fit a model 10BA barrel. I did this by opening up the barrel channel a little at the tip of the fore end and then stretching the remainder of the barrel channel by boiling the stock in my turkey fryer pot full of water until it became a little pliable.(about 10-15 minutes) Then I forced a dowel (actually a large broomhandle) a little larger than the barrel into it and secured it with duct tape to cool. Southern boy engineering at its finest.
It has been holding it's shape perfectly for over a year now with plenty of clearance.
Kind of a crappy pic but this may give you an Idea of what it looks like now.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/charliesbeaterto10p_zps5687c2bd.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/charliesbeaterto10p_zps5687c2bd.jpg.html)

foxx
04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
That's cool. I bet if you skim-coated it with epoxy there wouldn't be any way it could ever go back. But then again, if it hasn't already, why would it now?

big honkin jeep
04-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah, It really takes a super hot bath and a good bit of time to make it flexible and then you still have to put some effort into it to open it up with the dowel. Once it cools and it sets up it's in a permanent new form no doubt about it.