PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Could This Group Be Better?

Josh Smith
03-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Hello,

I shot these groups with a Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR yesterday.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/target1-1.jpg

Conditions were far from calm - windy and rather variable. Couldn't seem to shoot between wind shifts, so I adjusted for elevation and aimed dead center.

Looks like 2.2" was my best group. The shots which are lower - I miscalculated the elevation. Dangit. So I didn't include them in the groups.

These were shot prone off a bipod.

Ammo was CCI Blazer. I did not modify these with D Rock's tool - just wanted to get some shooting in before crashing out for the day.

On a calm day I can get this in under an inch with the same ammo.

Is there any way to compensate for the wind? How much effect would a variable crosswind - 5 to 15mph - have on a .22LR supersonic in flight?

Thanks,

Josh

TOP PREDATOR
03-20-2010, 08:27 PM
about this much using match ammo 1035 fps...
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu54/WALTERRO/MK%20II/22MKIIBVWINDDOPEJPG.jpg

the columns that have "/cl , the " stands for inches of drift, the cl stands for 1/8" clicks. so for instance, at 100 yards, 15 mph SUSTAINED wind, at 3:00 approach, you are looking at over 10" of drift!

you can pick up a caldwell wind gauge cheap enough around $35.00, and a calculator using the formula on the bottom of the chart i posted, you can get a decent enough read. of course what the wind at 100 yards away is doing, is a totally different story.

still and all, not a bad group using bulk hv and wind.

TOP PREDATOR
03-20-2010, 08:40 PM
so you have any other group photos at 100 using the blazer? i'm shooting more than i used to, and the match ammo is starting to dwindle my funds down a little. i've seen others have good luck with the blazer, i'm about to put an ammo order in, before i buy any more food, i'd like to try the blazer, but don't want to end up with yet more pistol ammo if it doesn't do well in the rifle.

shelbyfan
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Not bad, especially on a windy day. That is actually not much worse than most HMR's.

Josh Smith
03-24-2010, 07:09 AM
I want one ragged hole ;D

I pillar bedded the thing - looked simple compared to the Bondo stuff - and it seems to be shooting a lot better. Of course, that was an informal test at 14x, so I figure I'll do another shoot at 100yds today, either before bed or after I wake up (I work 3rds, but have today and tomorrow off).

I also tapped the pillars to a standard size. They were something like M6x24 IIRC. Something hard to find, and the head stripped out on one screw.

Josh

zap
03-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Have you tried wolf match ammo ?( Not the match extra.) It shoots the best out of my mark II and for many others here. It is probably up to around $50.00 a brick. My best cheap ammo is Remingtons "golden bullet" the hollow point. Good luck.
Lee

rjtfroggy
03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Go to optics talk and there is a video of a guy shooting a Savage rim fire at 400 yards in the wind and he is hitting a steel plate(I think 12"x12") 4 out of 5 times. It is a youth tube clip so you can probably find it on there also.