PDA

View Full Version : Bead Blasting Barrel and Action

Scalian
03-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I have a stainless barrel and action and am interested in bead blasting it to take the shine off and possible end up painting it flat black. Has anyone ever done this and how did you protect the barrel and the parts of the action you didnt want blasted. What kind of media did you use?

pdog06
03-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm guessing they tape off the areas not getting blasted, but not sure.

I am getting ready to take my 116 barreled action to my local smith and have him bead blast it. The barrel is already bead blasted(Mcgowen), but I'm gonna have him match up the action,bolthandle, baffle, lug, and barrel nut. Spoke to him last week and he said he'd do it while I wait(or shop ::)).

twarren
03-20-2010, 09:48 AM
pdog, watch out if you shop something moght follow you home (again)

LawmanSales
03-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Clay works well.
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu237/Brazos609/308Modael12.jpg?t=1269093194

deadeye
03-20-2010, 04:41 PM
In a LOT of years sandblasting and bead blasting, I never saw clay used BUT use what you have I guess.

Electrical or good masking tape work excellent - never a problem and I have done a LOT of it on guns.

Do NOT use the type for paint masking type - that is made to only lightly stick and can come off with the air pressure alone.

pklin
03-21-2010, 12:27 AM
I was under the impression that if you intend to paint it later, you do not want bead blasting... while it will dull the finish and kill the shine, it actually imparts a "polished" surface on the metal where the coating won't stick too well.

What you want to use I believe, and I have done this for my own Duracoat applications, is use 120 grit aluminum oxide abrasive blast.

BobT
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I bead blasted a lot of barrels and actions when I had my shop. I always used silicone plugs to plug all the screw holes and tight fitting soft wood plugs in the bores. I have never heard of using clay but from my experience it would probably make a heck of a mess.

Bob

cucruzn
03-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Tape works, masking or electrical. I took the bluing off of mine and Duracoated, came out extremely well. I also Duracoated a friends stainless 700 Coyote Tan after bead blasting. No issues with the Duracoat adhering correctly. There are a lot of colors to the Duracoat also so you can pick whatever strikes your fancy.

Scalian
03-27-2010, 11:31 PM
What did you use to protect the crown of your barrel?