PDA

View Full Version : PST mount advise needed

guyo
04-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Having fun trying to put together my first build. Thanks to Mr and Mrs Briggs, I have a model 12 action for .308 with recoil lug, wrenches and varmit contour 26" barrell. I also have a set of go, no go gauges for the build. I got in my XLR Evolution folding chassis!(It rocks!) I am wanting to put a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 on it and am wondering the best rings to go on an EGW 20moa base to give the clearance needed.I would like to be able to use caps to cover the lenses. Any suggestions and advise greatly appreciated. This is by far my favorite site to read and am forming an addiction to all things Savage.

Texas Solo
04-02-2014, 07:12 PM
I have the same scope on my #12. I use the Burris Extreme Tactical medium rings( 30mm) on a 20MOA base. I like the six screw caps given the recoil. The scope has never moved.
You could possibly get away with lower rings, but I have sufficient clearance with the medium height, no worries.
Be sure to torque properly. I used 22 inch pounds on the base and 18 on the rings.

guyo
04-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Texas Solo, Thanks for the info. Do you use any lens caps on yours? Hoping to put Butler Creek or similar to protect lenses. The XLR Chassis needs pretty high mount because of for-end over barrel nut Love the user name: I'm in E. Texas myself.

psharon97
04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
I went with Weaver tactical rings and an EGW 20 MOA rail.
http://swfa.com/Weaver-Six-Hole-Tactical-30mm-Rings-P11953.aspx
http://swfa.com/Savage-C2594.aspx

Texas Solo
04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Texas Solo, Thanks for the info. Do you use any lens caps on yours? Hoping to put Butler Creek or similar to protect lenses. The XLR Chassis needs pretty high mount because of for-end over barrel nut Love the user name: I'm in E. Texas myself.

Yes, I use Butler Creek flip open caps. Plenty of room, no worries.

bflee
04-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I have SWFA high rings on a model 12LRP with the same scope and base and they are too high. I thought that since I have very little slope on my barrel (its thick) I would need them. The EGW 20 MOA rail adds more clearance than I expected. I will change them to mediums before too long, but the bright side is I was shooting .41 MOA at 540 yards last week.

chukarmandoo
04-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I hate it when the scope sets high. I had mine to high with EGW so I got a Warne steel 20 moa rail and now life is good. I really don't think it matters in the big picture but one thing I think happens is now I see more heat distortion from the barrel and I hate that more. So maybe taller is better as long as you have a scope bubble level?

Mike Vegas
04-12-2014, 05:47 PM
The Best Rings? (No budget limit) ARC, USoptics, Nightforce, Badger

$100-$150 - Vortex, Seekins (same manufacturer), Leupold

$100 below - TPS I would not suggest anything else, the rest gave me headaches... Burris are OK, looks cheap though...