PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag headspacing shilen drop in

shootahoe
04-01-2014, 09:39 PM
having some issues headspacing my new savage drop in barrel i got from shilen. first time doing this so bear with me. my first question is do u need to have your extractor and ejector in the bolt head while setting the headspace with your go/nogo gauges? the instructions that came with my forster gauges said you needed to but I've heard that you do not... very confused... Last night i had removed the extractor and ejector from the bolt then closed the bolt in the action, inserted my go gauge and threaded on the action until it made contact with the gauge (fairly snug). i then checked the no go, it did not fit like normal. then placed the recoil lug in it proper place and torqued down the nut making sure it was not changing the headspace as i tightened it. after reassembling the extractor and ejector in the bolt i rechecked headspace and it was a dead stop on the go gauge (not normal). my next thought was to leave both the extractor and ejector in the bolt and set the headspace. what do i do? i don't want to mess this up because it can be dangerous if i do... I'm using the forster belted magnum gauges with the savage model 110 fcp action, factory bolt, accutrigger. thanks for your help JOSH

KRP
04-01-2014, 09:58 PM
What do you mean the NO-GO didn't fit like normal? Beyond that, tightening the nut increases headspace, I'd say your barrel moved or your extractor is hanging up on the gage.

shootahoe
04-01-2014, 10:59 PM
What do you mean the NO-GO didn't fit like normal? Beyond that, tightening the nut increases headspace, I'd say your barrel moved or your extractor is hanging up on the gage.

the no go didn't fit that is normal... the go fit that is normal... i watched for barrel movement in the vise but there was none as i tightened the nut onto the recoil lug and action. after that was said and done i reassembled the extractor and ejector. then i checked the headspace again and NOTHING would chamber i.e. go gauge or resized brass.

shootahoe
04-01-2014, 11:11 PM
I didn't think that tightening the nut would affect headspace at all, because that is set with action/bolt face and the chamber... the nut just keeps it all together right?

KRP
04-01-2014, 11:27 PM
the no go didn't fit that is normal... the go fit that is normal

I understand now, the poor grammar confused me.

I didn't think that tightening the nut would affect headspace at all, because that is set with action/bolt face and the chamber... the nut just keeps it all together right?

The nut pulls the barrel away from the bolt face as it takes up the "slop" in the barrel/action threads. Assuming the barrel/action don't turn headspace will increase as the nut is tightened.

shootahoe
04-01-2014, 11:42 PM
ok thats good to know thanks... but u should be able to set headspace without the extractor and ejector in the bolt?

KRP
04-01-2014, 11:48 PM
ok thats good to know thanks... but u should be able to set headspace without the extractor and ejector in the bolt?

Yes, lots of people prefer to do it that way.

shootahoe
04-02-2014, 12:01 AM
ok thats what i thought. ill get back at it and give it another try. perhaps i did not reassemble the extractor correctly or something. thanks for your feedback I've been really pulling my hair out on this... I noticed the go gauge is pretty sharp on the edges and may have damaged my extractor and now is causing this problem