PDA

View Full Version : Stainless or Blued Action

scottkr
03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Other than appearance, is there any reason a person would refer a stainless action for a rifle build over a blued action? Are there any advantages or drawbacks to either?

McKinneyMike
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Stainless should be better as far as rust goes. Blueing will wear thru eventually. I guess it depends upon what you like at some point though. A really nicely blued rifle is still a thing of beauty to me :)

scottkr
03-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Bump

82boy
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Other than appearance, is there any reason a person would refer a stainless action for a rifle build over a blued action? Are there any advantages or drawbacks to either?

Same amount of accuracy, only a cosmetic thing, it depends on what you like.

lostart
03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Just me but I kind of like the look of a blued action with a stainless barrel

scottkr
03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
I wasn't sure if there was a structural advantage to stainless over blued. If it only comes down to appearance, I can get it satin nickled, as I did a 1911 .45acp but there was an adantage to that. Made the action slicker than greased lightning. This will be a bench rifle project and will not be subjected to the eliments.

Spade Cooley
03-19-2010, 08:25 PM
There is something about a blued rifle even as it wears and ages. A buddy told me the stainless barrel would last longer but I have no evidence to support it. As much as I shoot I'll never wear mine out.

EFBell
03-19-2010, 08:34 PM
I have several blue safequeens and a couple that get outside. I like both and have no real preference for hunting but I do like stainless for banging around in the woods, rain and snow.

I agree that a nice blue rifle (with a wood stock of course) can be a thing of beauty!

pdog06
03-20-2010, 09:33 AM
I agree that a nice blue rifle (with a wood stock of course) can be a thing of beauty!

I agree also. I keep saying I'd like to get a model 14 or 114 for the high luster blueing, but havent stopped building other stuff long enough to get one.