PDA

View Full Version : Accutrigger on my Mod 10 is malfunctioning,

iznthesky
03-31-2014, 01:26 PM
I have a Model 10 Scout rifle (7.62x39) with the accutrigger and the accustock. recently on the range after chambering a round and the trigger sqeeze begins I hear click and I feel a movement but the rifle will not fire. The trigger becomes fixed in place and will not budge. Lifting the bolt handle to reset the trigger and firing pin helped at first, but intermttently this problem would occur again at increasing intervals for about the next 50 rounds. Yesterday at the range the problem got worse and now more time is spent reseting it than firing it. I have never taken apart the rifle or action. the rifle does not have that many rounds through it, so I am sure it is not a build up of any residue in the action.
Is there a detailed picture of the action that I can refer to when I disassemble the rifle ?
Does anyone know of this problem with other rifles ?
Please any and all advice will be appreciated by me.

Thanks in advance

BTW, no I am not interested in selling it, It has quickly become my favorite rifle, light, accurate, cheap to shoot. whats not to love. (except for the fact that it is NOT reliable until I get this trigger issue sorted out.

earl39
03-31-2014, 01:44 PM
easy fix to it is just reset the trigger pull weight. what has happened is the trigger spring is (for lack of a better term) settling. A lot of accutriggers will do this and may need adjusted once or maybe twice before the spring takes its permanent set. Some never have this problem but it is not a rare thing to happen.

the Ranger
03-31-2014, 01:51 PM
def need to pull the stock off and have a look at the trigger.

eddiesindian
03-31-2014, 11:14 PM
clean it as well. as earl mention,d....parts are settling in, from the spring/pins/sear etc......
follow the directions in your manual and adjust the spring tension. you,ll need to removed the stock to do so

iznthesky
04-01-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't have the owners manual. I purchased it from one of my co-workers. Does anyone know if there is a manual online or an expanded view picture

Maztech89
04-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Take your accutrigger tool and screw it in in 1/4 turn increments until the problem goes away. It's the spring on back of trigger. Do u have the accustock with wedge or not? Search the site for tightening sequence to suit your variation.

short round
04-01-2014, 03:28 PM
If this is your first accutrigger, your probably not depressing the accutrigger lever before pressing the trigger. If the trigger is pressed before the lever there will be a click, no bang. Trigger working like it should, but they do take a little practice. May need to adjust the trigger return spring, if you have tool, use it, but it can be done with fingers or pliers. Looking at spring from bottom of action turn clockwise to increase pressure.

bootsmcguire
04-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Here is a LINK (https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/) to the Savage Parts finder. Input your serial number and it should give you an exploded view.

The spring indicated by the blue arrow in the pic below is what you are adjusting. You can use the little yellow knob adjustment tool that should have come with the rifle, or you can probably use your fingers if you are careful.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/56c8eb20-e59f-4037-bc81-676fe6d7b31c_zps683b4a26.jpg (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/bootsmcguire/media/56c8eb20-e59f-4037-bc81-676fe6d7b31c_zps683b4a26.jpg.html)

As stated above, if the spring is too light then the trigger will lock up when the bolt is closed and sometimes as you are pushing on the blade of the trigger. However, if you are like my uncle you may be one of those people who just can't shoot the accu-trigger. The way my Uncle moves his finger against the trigger will lock that thing up every time since I think he is putting pressure on the trigger itself before the blade is depressed. If this is your issue then the only fixes are switch the trigger out for a 3-screw style or an aftermarket, or learn how to position your finger differently to push the blade before the trigger.

Hope some of that helps.

Mach2
04-02-2014, 06:02 AM
The trigger pull was set too low by the guy you bought it from. Add weight back to the trigger pull at the blue arrow using the yellow handled
tool that came with the rifle. It has probably been lost so use whatever turns the spring tensioner.

After you set the T Pull test the safety with the gun EMPTY. Flip the safety ON. Cock the bolt and pull the trigger. Then turn the safety off. It should not fire.

Hotolds442
04-02-2014, 06:20 AM
The trigger pull was set too low by the guy you bought it from. Add weight back to the trigger pull at the blue arrow using the yellow handled
tool that came with the rifle. It has probably been lost so use whatever turns the spring tensioner.

After you set the T Pull test the safety with the gun EMPTY. Flip the safety ON. Cock the bolt and pull the trigger. Then turn the safety off. It should not fire.
You will not be able to turn the safety on and then cock the bolt. Opening the bolt cocks the cocking piece. With the safety off, close the bolt abruptly several times making sure the sear and trigger stay engaged. Close the bolt and rap the buttstock sharply on the floor a few times, making sure the trigger does not release. Then turn the safety on to the full rear position, pull the trigger fairly hard, let go, and then release the safety. Repeat this a couple of times, and then put the safety in the center position and pull the trigger again a couple of times, switching the safety off after each pull. Once all those check out, you can consider your work safe. If the firing pin falls on any of the tests, increase the trigger pull weight and start all over.

Mach2
04-02-2014, 07:38 AM
If the firing pin falls on any of the tests, increase the trigger pull weight and start all over.

Very good point. There are multiple safety tests.

Sorry about reversing procedures but always pull the trigger with safety ON and then turn it OFF to make sure it doesn't release the firing pin. Just banging a rifle on the ground isn't the only test.

Hotolds442
04-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Very good point. There are multiple safety tests.

Sorry about reversing procedures but always pull the trigger with safety ON and then turn it OFF to make sure it doesn't release the firing pin. Just banging a rifle on the ground isn't the only test.
Precisely why I included the other three tests. You should never just rely on pulling the trigger with the safety on and then releasing it as the only functional test of the safety.

iznthesky
04-04-2014, 04:11 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for the help. I am returning from overseas and I m going to get right to adjusting it as soon as I get home. Everyone who replied really was very helpful. I was very impressed by everyones knowledge on this. I cant thank you all enough. Ill be shooting again this weekend !

Jamie
04-06-2014, 10:40 AM
Before going through all the above ensure you are pulling straight back on the accu - trigger as any side pressure will cause the sear to catch on the safety blade and create the problem you experience.

surfcitydude
04-07-2014, 11:34 PM
You will find the AccuTrigger is junk. Savage claims you can adjust it down to 1.5lbs., but if you do, it will do exactly what you're experiencing. It also will happen at low setting if you close the bolt a little to fast. I called Savage about the same problem on my 12VLP, and they told me the trigger will work properly set above 4 lbs. funny, it doesn't say that in there ads telling about how great they say they are. Best solution if you like a light trigger, Install a Rifle Basix or SSS Trigger. I installed Rifle Basix in both my Savage rifles and have them set at 1 lb. without a hitch. BTW, if you Google AccuTrigger problems, you will see countless others with the same issues.

Now comes the part where others pile on and tell how great their AccuTriggers work. One more time, great rifles with terrible triggers.

Badger
04-11-2014, 09:02 AM
First to "pile on": Yep, 350 rounds thru my FCP-SR without one failure. A buddy in Montana though has the same rifle and is having the problem, go figure. I'll tip him to the Rifle Basix, thanks.

sparky123321
04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
+1 for

"Before going through all the above ensure you are pulling straight back on the accu - trigger as any side pressure will cause the sear to catch on the safety blade and create the problem you experience."

My brother always has this problem when he tries to shoot my Savage Target Actions. His finger always hits the actual trigger before completely depressing the center safety. When this happens the trigger locks out until you raise and lower the bolt again. If he really pays attention to what he's doing he can fire the rifle. If you have short fingers or shoot with your finger pretty straight, for any reason, you're going to have a problem. If you don't hear or feel the click when attempting to depress the trigger, your pull weight is too light and your locking the trigger out just by cycling the bolt. If you ever use the 6 once Target Trigger set very light you have to be very smooth when working the bolt or you'll lock it out every time.

04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
You will find the AccuTrigger is junk. .... One more time, great rifles with terrible triggers.

The Target Accutrigger on my Model 12 F Class is the nicest trigger I've ever used, right out of the box (though I've never used any of the $$$$$ triggers). No perceptible creep and breaks at around a pound, and is adjustable down to 6 ounces if I recall correctly...