PDA

View Full Version : Action Purchase

Pages : 1 [2]

Cat 64
04-02-2014, 10:00 PM
There are lots of large shanks out there...mostly magnums and short magnums and target rifles...but my guy tells me the small shank is 3 or 4 to 1 to large shanks...if I already had a large shank Criterion barrel and I wanted a custom action (most if not all will be small shank) then I'd buy the action and take the barrel to a competent smith, maybe even call Criterion and ask them to do it and turn the shank down from large to small shank and run with it...that Shilen action is one I have been drooling over for years, floating bolt head, barrel nut, M700 pattern and accepts M700 and Jewels triggers...Its got WIN all over it...look at the shear number of M700/700 Clone stocks that are out there vs Savage offerings...that and the jewel trigger alone is a huge selling point...

Hey Beach. What I will do is take the barrel to the smith and re-threaded to new specs. Unbeknownst to me, beside the customary difference between large and small shank, there is another difference in small shanks for Remington and Savage. Remy has a 1-1/16"-16 thread and Savage has 1-1/16-20 thread. I will get the Stiller Predator V RBLP action.

CAPTBEACH
04-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Hey Beach. What I will do is take the barrel to the smith and re-threaded to new specs. Unbeknownst to me, beside the customary difference between large and small shank, there is another difference in small shanks for Remington and Savage. Remy has a 1-1/16"-16 thread and Savage has 1-1/16-20 thread. I will get the Stiller Predator V RBLP action.

That Stiller is a hell of an action...BEFORE you pull the trigger on that Stiller (pun intended) make sure you can get the barrel re-threaded to small shank 1 1/16th -16tpi (REMINGTON) the reason I state that is there is only a few thousandths difference between Savage large and small shank...the thread pitch is the same at 20tpi so there may not be enough meat there to remove to re-thread it to 16tpi follow me? YOur smith may tell you he cant do it UNLESS he cuts the barrel, re-chambers it and then cuts new threads...Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller...

Cat 64
04-02-2014, 10:45 PM
That Stiller is a hell of an action...BEFORE you pull the trigger on that Stiller (pun intended) make sure you can get the barrel re-threaded to small shank 1 1/16th -16tpi (REMINGTON) the reason I state that is there is only a few thousandths difference between Savage large and small shank...the thread pitch is the same at 20tpi so there may not be enough meat there to remove to re-thread it to 16tpi follow me? YOur smith may tell you he cant do it UNLESS he cuts the barrel, re-chambers it and then cuts new threads...Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller...

Ok...you just ruined my day...LOL. I looked at their site and I gathered that the predator uses a pinned 3/16 recoil lug. That in itself made me assume the barrel swap will go like I would do it on my criterion barrel and savage target action. Shilen is not telling me on their site any specs.

Cat 64
04-02-2014, 10:53 PM

So, if I can exchange my large shank for a small shank will the shilen rifle fit with out any other transformation?

Cat 64
04-02-2014, 11:33 PM
.Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller...[/QUOTE]

So if the Predator uses a recoil lug I don't have the problem you mentioned above correct? I should be able to mate the barrel with the action ( and headspace it myself) like I did with the savage target action correct?

CAPTBEACH
04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
.Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller...

So if the Predator uses a recoil lug I don't have the problem you mentioned above correct? I should be able to mate the barrel with the action ( and headspace it myself) like I did with the savage target action correct?

All of them...Rem or Sav use a recoil lug...its just the means at how they are put on...pinned or not pinned, barrel nut or no barrel nut...

Greg over at SH made a very valid point...WHY? You can only shoot one at a time...WHY 2 very expensive platforms unless you just really want too(two)...the Savage 6BR on the TA you already have is LARGE shank (your 260AI Criterion barrel)...you might consider getting a really nice Pelican case and having a custom foam insert cut for your 6BR rifle, a spare barrel slot (or two) and a slot for an action wrench and a barrel wrench...add a couple of slots for appropriate head space Go/No Go gauges for each caliber, maybe even a slot for another fitted stock for the TA and have a true modular system utilizing the Savage Target Action as a base for everything...you can then sink the rest of the $$$ into high end components and reloading equipment, optics...$1000 buys a lot of Lapua brass, powder, primerz and boolits...actually much more than that...$1000 was the $$$ momma gave you to spend on the action...figure another $500-$1000+ on a stock, and upwards of $2K on higher end glass/rings/mount and $200 for a nice bipod if you go high end... so now we are talking about nearly $4K in components...

jonbearman
04-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Return the barrel for a small shank bull barrel.

earl39
04-03-2014, 11:32 PM
.Also I don't think the Stiller uses a barrel nut like the Shilen does...you'll need a smith to remove the barrel and head space it on every barrel change...This would not be an issue with the Shilen RBLP action...it might with the Stiller

It is not a problem with the Stiller or any other Remington clone. We have what is known as the Rem-age. A cross between a Remington and a Savage. Call Jim at NSS and he can set you up. These barrels use a nutted system just like a Savage only on a Remington action.