PDA

View Full Version : what to do hmmm

JustinNC
03-30-2014, 01:07 AM
Just picked up 10 on impulse. Pre-accutrigger 270WSM. Not sure what I want to do. Don't have any particular wants or needs. Bone stock.

New to the savage build world. What are my caliber choices with said boltface and action? How much would I need to change to go over to the 308 family?

In the mean time I'll keep reading and wearing the search function out.

yobuck
03-30-2014, 11:03 AM
A sharpshooter trigger would be an improvment. Not sure other changes would improve it much.
But then i guess changing things can be exciting also.

Hotolds442
03-30-2014, 11:06 AM
A standard (308/30-06) bolt face, firing pin, and a 308 Winchester magazine box and follower is all you'll need to convert to the 308 cartridge family. If the action has the standing ejector you'll need to remove it and install a regular ejector, ball, and spring in the new bolt head. Any barrel you purchase will need to be threaded for a large shank action. Without changing the bolt head, your caliber choices are the WSM's and their wildcats, the WSSM's with some work to make them feed properly, the SAUM family, and the 350 or 6.5mm Remington Mags.

JustinNC
03-30-2014, 12:03 PM
A standard (308/30-06) bolt face, firing pin, and a 308 Winchester magazine box and follower is all you'll need to convert to the 308 cartridge family. If the action has the standing ejector you'll need to remove it and install a regular ejector, ball, and spring in the new bolt head. Any barrel you purchase will need to be threaded for a large shank action. Without changing the bolt head, your caliber choices are the WSM's and their wildcats, the WSSM's with some work to make them feed properly, the SAUM family, and the 350 or 6.5mm Remington Mags.

Thanks. Exactlythe kind of info I was looking for.

bootsmcguire
03-30-2014, 03:14 PM

+ 1

JustinNC
08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
Back up. Brain storming. Hate to get rid of it. Don't necessarily NEED it though. Dont have access to a good range. Thinking about sending it to the classifieds, although I swore I'd never sell another gun. I just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

Hotolds442
08-01-2014, 01:30 PM
I have lots of guns I don't "need". But I'm not selling any of them either.
stick it in the back of the safe and when the time comes that you have a need for it, convert it over to something that works for you.

JustinNC
08-01-2014, 01:56 PM
That's what I plan on doing. Just moved a few months ago and haven't found a good range close by

sixonetonoffun
08-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Is it.controlled feed?

JCalhoun
08-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Where are you located?