PDA

View Full Version : Rifle bedding compound

Pages : [1] 2

Remingtonman
03-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Ive seen some Quik Steel compound in the hardware stores that looks similar to rifle bedding compound. Would you guys think that the Quik steel would work for this? What are your thoughts on this? Or should I stick with a bedding compound kit from Brownells

drybean
03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
I know I will get flamed on this , but all I use is JB weld
mix it ,it let set to thicken to about like peanut butter

drybean

pdog2062
03-29-2014, 08:47 PM
JB weld is hard to beat,easy to use and readily available anywhere.The best thing they ever did was put it out in the 6 ounce box.

D.ID
03-29-2014, 09:25 PM
JB works for me, Devcon steel putty is a little nicer to work with but the end result is the same.

Geo_Erudite
03-29-2014, 10:04 PM
I have started using Marine-Tex Grey on my rifle. It has a putty consistency and it is priced between JB Weld and Devcon Plastic Steel Putty.

KRP
03-29-2014, 10:44 PM
The Quick Steel works, it is different to work with though and I wouldn't recommend it to most people. Mixed as directed it is very viscous and set-up time is very short, add solvent to allow it to flow better and to slow set-up. I've got a 338/300RUM bedded with it and no problems. I've used the Score High compound on the last several rifles and have been very pleased with it. For the guy doing one rifle, JB Weld is readily available in small quantity and works well though.

WYcoyote
03-29-2014, 11:39 PM
I have used JB Weld with success but my favorite by far is Devcon 10110. Very low shrinkage. Worth going out of your way to get it.

foxx
03-29-2014, 11:45 PM
I have used JB Weld with success but my favorite by far is Devcon 10110. Very low shrinkage. Worth going out of your way to get it.
+1

It can be had online for less than 1/2 of the local prices. I think I last got some for $35. Worth shopping for.

Remingtonman
03-31-2014, 04:30 PM
thanks for the input guys. Is the devcon and jb weld able to be sanded and removed from the stock if needed?

foxx
03-31-2014, 04:38 PM
It can be sanded tapped etc. If you get it on your hands and smear it on the stock you cannot remove once it dries. Before it dries you van use wd40 or something just like the others.

foxx
03-31-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't know if jb weld can be tapped. Devon 11010 can be.

limige
03-31-2014, 09:57 PM
I bought an araglass gel kit for like $35. Tintable easy to work with comes with directions and release agent. Ive done at least four guns with the kit so far. Got enough to do one more. The recent single shot bedding took enough to do three guns itself.

I was lucky a store near where I lived stocked it.

Maztech89
04-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I like and use Devcon 10110 for everything but I'm out and thinking of trying acraglass only because it's in stock a half hour from the house vs having to order from McMaster Carr. I get stupid on that sight ordering waaay too much stuff for my "projects."

limige
04-01-2014, 08:06 PM
They sell the original and a gel. Ive only used the gel kit and I really like it

Remingtonman
04-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Do you guys recommend putting bedding tape on the recoil lug and barrel taper area when bedding? I was thinking about using electrical tape since the actually bedding tape is so expensive. What do you all think?

foxx
04-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Do you guys recommend putting bedding tape on the recoil lug and barrel taper area when bedding? I was thinking about using electrical tape since the actually bedding tape is so expensive. What do you all think?

I use electrical tape, duct tape, painter's tape. Anything will work. Use enough to be sure to leave a recess around the front, bottom and sides of the lug and you will be fine. After the bedding material sets-up, I usually remove material on all sides but the rear, anyhow. The only objective here is to have bedding material matched-up against the back of the lug, the rest of it is a non-issue, but if it's there, it must not make contact with the lug or barrel. That being the case, I figure, why not just remove it?

BTW... What the heck is "bedding tape"?

BillPa
04-05-2014, 05:08 PM

Exacty what I use. I'll clean the areas with a degreaser so it sticks, trim any excess off with an Xacto knife then coat it with Kiwi. If it happens to pull off in the bedding its removed easily with a pick and or tweezers. Don't stretch it, lay it on and trim if necessary.

Forgive me, but after 40+ years bedding rifles I never heard of "bedding tape". Is it another of those things best used only to part one from their money? :p

Bill

Remingtonman
04-05-2014, 07:16 PM
I use electrical tape, duct tape, painter's tape. Anything will work. Use enough to be sure to leave a recess around the front, bottom and sides of the lug and you will be fine. After the bedding material sets-up, I usually remove material on all sides but the rear, anyhow. The only objective here is to have bedding material matched-up against the back of the lug, the rest of it is a non-issue, but if it's there, it must not make contact with the lug or barrel. That being the case, I figure, why not just remove it?

BTW... What the heck is "bedding tape"?

This is bedding tape foxx http://www.midwayusa.com/product/890229/3m-bedding-and-masking-tape-1-width?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Remingtonman
04-05-2014, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=BillPa;254945]Exacty what I use. I'll clean the areas with a degreaser so it sticks, trim any excess off with an Xacto knife then coat it with Kiwi. If it happens to pull off in the bedding its removed easily with a pick and or tweezers. Don't stretch it, lay it on and trim if necessary.

Forgive me, but after 40+ years bedding rifles I never heard of "bedding tape". Is it another of those things best used only to part one from their money? :p

Yep Bill thats exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the bedding tape lol

BillPa
04-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Yep Bill thats exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the bedding tape lol

I liked the one (and only) comment...

The tape works great, and is nice and thick so you don't need many layers if you free floating a barrel during a bedding job. The only downfall is that the price is little high compared to regular electrical tape, which seems to me very similar if not identical.

Next I expect to hear or read, "But wait, if you order right now ....." :p

Bill