PDA

View Full Version : Action binding.

lucy123
03-18-2010, 10:50 PM
I have a savage model 110 with a duramax stock, 308 barrel after market. I bedded the rifle myself. It has flyers. I have read where you stand the rifle on its butt, loosen the front action screw and if the barrel raises up out of the stock then the action is binding. When I loosen the front action screw my barrel raises up, so apparently my action is in a bind. How do I determine where it is binding and what would I do about it?

Thanks for any help. ???

ellobo
03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I would blacken the bottom of the receiver and barrel to just forward of the nut with soot from a candle or lamp or sight blackener from a spray can. Gentley put the rifle back in the stock and torque the bolts evenly to about 30 inch pounds torque. Remove the stock and see where the black is left in the stock. If the stock is black try lipstick. Is your tang free floated? Dont know if that would help but its a cheap try.

El Lobo

sharpshooter
03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Every Savage rifle will do that, because the rear pillar is cut away on the rear. It doesn't affect accuracy because of the floating bolt head. Without seeing the gun, I would suspect your flyers are coming from something else.

pdog06
03-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Every Savage rifle will do that, because the rear pillar is cut away on the rear. It doesn't affect accuracy because of the floating bolt head. Without seeing the gun, I would suspect your flyers are coming from something else.

exactly. The weight of the barrel is now pivoting on the rear pillar because you loosened the front screw. Doesnt mean it is in a bind.

Your flyers could be coming from a number of things(cheekweld, parallax, flinching, rifle rest, loose or bottomed out scope base screw, bullet load, tang and/or barrel not fully free-floated, etc.). Could even be from more than one thing.

If you bedded the rifle then the action should be touching the stock everywhere along the bottom of the action. If not then it is bedded incorrectly. The lipstick test mentioned above will prove that.

Also, if the action is binding when it is tight you'd more than likely have trouble working the bolt, either cocking/uncocking and/or sliding it in or out.

deadeye
03-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Your flyers could be coming from a number of things (cheekweld, parallax, flinching, rifle rest, loose or bottomed out scope base screw, bullet load, tang and/or barrel not fully free-floated, etc.). Could even be from more than one thing.

I would add to the list and say check the crown as well.

lucy123
03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys all of you helped a lot. I am going to try the lipstick. I am also going to check the loose nut behind the stock. :) :)