PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire Springfield 87a Wow what fun it is !!!

82boy
09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I just bought a Springfield 87A today, and I took it to the range and it is a blast to shoot. I put 2 boxes of shells through it, and she shoots like a dream. I noticed as I walked around people would stop me and tell me tales of their 87. I will post some pictures after I get back from dinner. In meantime, what can you guys tell me about this rifle? I look around and could not find much information. I saw someone mentioned that the "Springfield" name was from 1938-46 anyone know if this is true? (Sounds weird because that is war time, and I would say most building efforts would be for other guns.) I did see that some of these gun was used as trainers for WWII and have stocks like a M1 Garand. I been looking for one of these rifles for a few months now. The part that sucks is after I bought this one I found a Stevens with a scope in a nylon stock. (Just my luck) So let me know what you know about this gun. Thanks in advance.

wleoff
09-06-2009, 07:29 PM
This 87N was one of my father's rifles. I took it out of the safe and cleaned it up after 30 years. It has a Springfield 4X scope. Still can't get use to the action when it cycles. Kind of disfunctional. Still accurate.
http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/wleoff/Sf187N01.jpg

big honkin jeep
09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Does the 87-A have a serial # or just patent #s on it?
Yep they are a hoot to shoot. The action seems louder than the firing of the catrridge ;D
Having to release the trigger between shots to put er in battery just feels strange.

BHJ

red_zr24x4
02-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Just picked up a Stevens 87A today for $49.99 + tax for a grand total of $54.49
Hardly any bluing left on the metal and someone drilled a hole off center in the stock for a sling swivel, but she shoots
No serial # just Paten dates, anyone have any info on these? Mine looks just like the pic wleoff posted but not as nice

louthedog
02-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Just bought a house down the street from me as a rental property. My son dug through all the stuff that the original owner left for us to dispose of and discovered an 87C (iron sights) leaning against the wall in a closet. Don't think it has had a box of shells run through it but my son gave it a thorough cleaning anyhow. Neat rifle and works perfectly. Best yet it was free (well, free to my son but I had to pay for the house ::))

Dr. Vette
02-23-2010, 11:58 PM
I shot my Dad's quite a bit when I was a kid. It was the only .22 we had - and it got me into some major trouble (long story). Still holds a lot of memories.
So, I bought one myself several years ago. Stripped it and refinished it, redid the trigger guard, replaced any broken or stripped parts.
Previous owner cut a bit off the stock so I added a pad only to finish it and to bring it back to original length.

Unfortunately it doesn't thrill me as much as the original did, so I think I'm going to sell mine. Dad still has his - I should just use that one instead. :)

http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/45248/2414219480010410527S425x425Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2414219480010410527qxEvYi)

PS - now listed in the classifieds - though that's not why I initially made this posting.