PDA

View Full Version : build options, savage newbie here

red_rock_beetle
03-29-2014, 12:31 AM
After hearing many good things about savage and having the build itch again I bought a 110 in 30-06 for a build I have done work on and built firearms in the past but never a long range bolt action so here I am. what I am looking at so for is a heavy barreled 30-06
Stock: I am looking at the laminate varmint tactical stock here http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
Action: I have already acquired an action not sure on the details as I'm out of town right now and not around it right now I plan on lapping the locking lugs and true the face of the action if need be
Barrel: I have been looking at a Shilen select match in a varmint contour from here http://www.thebarrelman.com/Barrelman_Pricing-Savage.htm
Trigger: I was planing on dropping in a Timney trigger
I'm thinking these things along with a 20 MOA scope mount, high power scope and nice bolt handle should make a nice rifle is there anything you would change or add? And yes, I have a go and no go gauge along with savage barrel nut wrench and action wrench.

fgw_in_fla
03-29-2014, 01:01 AM
This will help with lapping in the lugs:
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?14083-Lapping-in-a-bolt&highlight=lapping+lugs

red_rock_beetle
03-29-2014, 01:10 AM
Thanks fgw, learned something there. That's where I may have a bit of an advantage, I am currently out of state for a month or two so I am collecting both knowledge and parts in hopes that upon my arrival back home I can complete the build all at once.

jonbearman
03-29-2014, 08:05 AM
If you are shooting a 1000 yds the 20moa egw mount is fine,but if you are shooting under say 600 yds,you need a 0 moa mount and if you plan on shooting a 1000 yds later you can get burris signature zee rings with the plastic inserts and they have 0 moa,10 moa,20 moa inserts .There are other stock makers out there and you need to research that further before you settle on which one you want.Is this going to be for hunting,target shooting ,f-class or which? I am not slighting shilens but I would think about some others before you settle on one choice.There are mcgowen,criterion,shilen,pac-nor,hawk hill custom,brux,kreiger,bartlein etc etc.Do your homework.I currently have SSS triggers and rifle basix sav-2 triggers.I like them both.The timney should be put in by someone that knows triggers as a couple of my friends had a bit of trouble.You should bed the action and freefloat the barrel.I am not so sure lapping on a savage does alot of good with the floating bolt head. When it comes to high power scopes stick to decent glass and stay away from the cheapies.Good luck with your build and keep us updated when you get back.

KRP
03-29-2014, 04:17 PM
If you are shooting a 1000 yds the 20moa egw mount is fine,but if you are shooting under say 600 yds,you need a 0 moa mount and if you plan on shooting a 1000 yds later you can get burris signature zee rings with the plastic inserts and they have 0 moa,10 moa,20 moa inserts .

What sort of factual information did you base your 0 versus 20 MOA base comment on? The rifle isn't even built yet, how can you make that determination so certainly? Also, the inserts for Signature rings are measured in thousandths of an inch offset not MOA.

COplains
03-29-2014, 04:33 PM
You can use a ballistics chart for the caliber and, if known, the internal range of adjustment in the scope...if the scope range isn't known yet, do a little research and plug in a generic median value to determine a base cant, if needed. MOA is a mathmatical value...thousandths of inch is easily translated to MOA values.

bootsmcguire
03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
burris signature zee rings with the plastic inserts and they have 0 moa,10 moa,20 moa inserts .

They also have a 5MOA (or .005") offset available as well. The other aspect of the Sig Zee's is that you can use offset inserts in one ring to change elevation and the the other ring to correct any misalignment in your windage by installing the rings sideways.

What sort of factual information did you base your 0 versus 20 MOA base comment on? The rifle isn't even built yet, how can you make that determination so certainly? Also, the inserts for Signature rings are measured in thousandths of an inch offset not MOA.

You may want to watch this VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRAX5OLtJE) at about 4min 30sec. They are measured in thousandths, but that translates into MOA figured at 100yds.

red_rock_beetle
03-29-2014, 05:11 PM
I will mainly be shooing 30-06 hand loads from 100-500yds with the occasional 1000yd shot mostly target whether paper or steel but on occasion there will be a hog or deer on the other side of the glassthanks johnbearman, I have been doing alot of reading over the last few weeks but I am never set on any one configuration, I will look into the Items you listed!

KRP
03-29-2014, 05:45 PM
You may want to watch this VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRAX5OLtJE) at about 4min 30sec. They are measured in thousandths, but that translates into MOA figured at 100yds.

You'll notice they talk inches and use the term approximately in the video. .020" is 20MOA...given a certain size circle. Ring spacing defines the radius of the circle.

My original point was that we are lacking the information to give anything but conjectures.

bootsmcguire
03-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Yes it is an approximation, but a reasonable one. With the vast array of rifle, base, and ring combinations, approximation is about the best you can do without the specific rifle as you stated. Point is the rifle is not even built yet and so best guesses are all that anyone will ever be able to give without a completely built rifle to test which if its already built, kind of negates the whole point of the conversation.

Point is you are right they are sold in 1/1000" measurements and that is the most exact way to measure. Those measurements approximate 1/1000" = 1 MOA at 100yds on the average, but rifle, mount, and scope differences will cause variances in the MOA approximation. However without knowing all the specific of the rifle, MOA approximation is the simplest way to measure the amount of movement you will get.

Sorry for any troubles, now :focus:.

KRP
03-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Sorry for any troubles, now :focus:.

Agreed...please everyone, carry on!