PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a Stevens 200 trigger

sdsuttu
03-28-2014, 11:21 PM
I have adjusted my Stevens 200 trigger down to a tolerable 4lbs. I have read a number of posts that reference polishing the sear. When folks polish the sear, are they using an extremely fine sandpaper? Do folks also polish the trigger not that engages the sear? I realize that an aftermarket trigger would be better, but that is not in the cards; need to make do with what I have. Many thanks.

olddav
03-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Here's what I did. For the sear I used a 400 grit sand paper to start with, then switched to 600 and finally a 1500 grit, (all wet/dry) Use a flat surface, wet it and place the sand paper on flat surface. The water will help hold the paper in place.
As far as the trigger I used a ceramic stone to polish the triggers contact surface. I also swapped the wire spring out with a .045 wire from a $2.00 spinner bait. The result was a 2.5 lb trigger and a 2.5 lb trigger is a lot better than one might think. Good luck.

bootsmcguire
03-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Polishing should be done a tiny bit at a time with a very fine stone.

If I were in your shoes I would put a WTB thread or watch the classifieds for a 3-screw factory Savage trigger. It will let you adjust the sear engagement and probably fine tune it down even more than you have already.

KRP
03-29-2014, 04:28 PM
A Lansky knife sharpening kit(the five stone version) and a small vise are great tools for doing trigger work.

olddav
03-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Yep, a knife sharping stone is what I used on the trigger.
bootsmcguire is right, go slow, I left that part out.