PDA

View Full Version : What action

bushwackr
03-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Hi all

I currently have a remington in 7mm stw, well I am tired with the remingtons crap. It was a bad rifle from the start well now they are finally giving me a new rifle so I am going to sell it. I really dont want to deal with them anymore.
My question is what savage action can I use to build a repeater with a 3.600" or larger mag box so I can keep the 7 stw. I would like it to be a large shank action if possible. I assume I will need a magnum bolt head.

COplains
03-28-2014, 05:16 PM
I dont know but maybe..... Savage 110 long action.

It is in the classifieds. Just a thought.

yobuck
03-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Im curious as to the issues youve had with the gun. Im assuming its a 700 action?
Im aware the newer 700s arent what the old ones were but its still a good basic action.
I have a friend in buxton nd who is a gunsmith and a 7stw guy. I can furnish contact info if youd like.
Im sure he could be helpfull in solving your problem. In any event talking wouldnt cost anything.
Ive been using the 7x300 weatherby for more than 40 years. Balisticly it and the stw are twins.
Im using 80 gr 7828 with the 162 hornady match bthp bullet. Ive been using that bullet from day one
in my guns. I know, i know, im crazy and bergers are far better lol. That argument aside, i can use the factory
magazine in my 700 rem actioned sporter with those bullets set a little deeper. 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.
My son has an adl action and he gets 3 in his. Accuracy is just as good with the deeper seated bullets.

bushwackr
03-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Yep It is a 700 action, it had very poor machining on the bolt head and the chamber looked like it was cut with a carbide and a die grinder.
Ya ive heard of a guy in buxton ,im about 90 miles north of buxton. Ya if he is a gunsmith that doesnt think that everyone else is stupid and everything that he does is the only right way I will be more that happy to meet him. I am in the middle of my last dealing with the smith in grand forks just north of buxton. I am tired of bring left in the dark on everything. I went and talked to the current smith and told him that I found a barrel for this action was going to skip remington all together and have him install the barrel. Well it is a douglas air gauged stainless steel barrel. I got out of him it will work but theres better out there, and I like to order them so I get the right barrel. Who is he to say what the right barrel, I called 2 barrel companys and they told them that there barrels are all the right size to be threaded for a remington anyway well I asked ok how long of a wait and how much. his response 450for the barrel and a truing job is required that 495 more. That isnt even the best part and theres a 14-16 week wait on a barrel and then wait on him to do it.

After seeing rem quality and dealings with the smith. I am goin to be a total barrel nut convert. Im tired of getting left in the dark on my stuff
Sorry all I had to vent

COplains
03-28-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry.....I just have to laugh. All the years of Remington this, Winchester that, well deserved once upon a time. Now....**** on Remchester. We have decals for that yanno!

bushwackr
03-29-2014, 01:21 AM
a majority of my arms are savage and winchester. Ive had no issues with either but this is my first remington and more than likely my last.:(

bushwackr
03-29-2014, 10:51 AM
So did savage make a 375 H&H , or the 7 Stw on a off the shelf rifle

Westcliffe01
03-29-2014, 12:22 PM
Start with a 338 Lapua and swap the barrel ?
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001610&dir=700|1484|1485

bootsmcguire
03-29-2014, 02:56 PM
So did savage make a 375 H&H , or the 7 Stw on a off the shelf rifle

Yes at one time they did. Numerich still sells some of the left over factory barrels last time I checked. The H&H, STW, and RUM chamberings were built on a special long action which has a longer magazine cut out to utilize a 3.6"+ magazine. These actions are no longer made and semi-rare one the market today due to folks not wanting to let them go.

If you wish to run as a single shot, then any standard long action will work. As a repeater you either need the RUM action, or you will have to have the mag opening of a standard action milled out to accept the longer mag.

Hope that helps.

Maztech89
03-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Hey boots, is there an action/magazine/part dimension you don't know? Man are you a wealth of knowledge! Glad to have good guys like you around always answering these kinds of posts.

bootsmcguire
03-31-2014, 12:43 AM
Glad to be of help. I am always trying to learn more, and that's one of the best parts of building Savages and reloading for them. There is a vast realm of chambering possibilities and rifle component combinations that are still out there waiting to be tested and learned from. Now the real trick is making enough extra money to pay for all those combinations and the loading components to feed them. ;)