PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire 1953SAVAGE/STEVENS model 87.D

NOOTKA NICK
03-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Well its almost an antique. Was in such bad shape when I picked it up years ago from a native friend, it was used as a single shot.
a good cleaning a little tinkering and a new trigger group(It was a FULL AUTOMATIC) . the barrel had never,i am sure been cleaned.:(
it now wears a BUSHNELL elite 10X scope that was part of a package trade I had sitting around. Its shoots flawlessly with AMERICAN EAGLE 38gr. hollowpoints. it does not shoot fed. or win .bulk ammo or wildcat also it does not like hornets stingers or cci. It does shoot green tags BUT buggered if I am going to spend my megar pension money on them(Green Tags). As long as I clean the bolt/carrier and clean bore with ole #9 its a sweet shooter!!!!! Its the type of .22 TARGET rifle that just annoys the REAL TARGET RIFLE shooters,. and the AMERICAN EAGLE ammo,:rolleyes: that's just icing on the cake (Or in my case MALT VINIGAR and ketsup on my French fries) I'M Canadian EH:canada:

P.S its pouring rain,dear wife gone to run her store and I have the whole day to read e mails,post a little and get my spring bear gear ready for april. :cool:

Mad Dog
03-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Got an 87D myself and it's been real good at taking out squirrels around the camp.

Own a Savage #7 as well and it's gone full auto on me a couple times to, a good cleaning seems to fix it right up again though.

NOOTKA NICK
04-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Talk about being a late reply!!!!! the cause of the full auto was the worn trigger group. Don't want to say exactly whatpiece as I will get pulled out of bed by HOMELAND SECURITY and sent to GITMO in CUBA!!!!!!!!!!!! but it was a mechanical issue. Iwas at a local gun show and a fellow had a NEW trigger group in a baggie for $10
says he had been bringing it to various gun shows for a couple years and no one ever even picked it up...... my lucky day..... NN

Mad Dog
04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
If they threw every guy that had a worn out 87D or Savage 6 that went full auto on them in jail they'd have to build a whole new jail. It's common for that to happen to those models. All you can do is fix the problem.