PDA

View Full Version : Stiffening an Accu stock

2footroper
03-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Well I have come to the realazation that I can not obtain an aftermarket stock for my 111LRH from any manufacturer in a reasonable amount of time so I am going to try to stiffen the front end of my Accustock. I purchased this rifle in 300 win mag used from a gentleman who bought it to use in 1 mile shooting compitition. He broke the barrel in properly and took great care of it. It shot 12" 5 shot groups at 1 mile letting the barrel cool sufficiently after each shot. All in the factory Accustock. The problem I have is at the front of the stock. If I grab and twist it near the sling swivel I can get the stock to touch the barrel. There is a small lip at the front that I can dremmel out to correct this but I don't like the flexability issue there. Especially if I use a bi pod. What I am thinking about doing is getting a couple of very stiff carbon arrow shafts and bed or epoxy one on each side of the alluminum running up as close as I can toward the front. I'm not sure where I saw this and maybe it was on this site but I think it would solve the problem and save a bunch of money. I don't want to significantly increase the weight so just a small ammount of beddind material or epoxy would be needed. Any thoughts?

foxx
03-28-2014, 01:08 PM
That or, if it will fit, angle aluminum. I would think it would be stiffer. As you know, carbon arrows are strong, but made to flex. I am not aware of any that are all that stiff, and unless broken already, expensive.

Regardless, whatever you try, it can be dug-out again and redone.

2footroper
03-28-2014, 09:39 PM
I took the dremmel tool out today and cleared enough space and I like the way it turned out. Does anyone know if the Accustock can be refinished? It has that rubbery feel to it which I like but I would like to camo it up a bit. I also live near a guy that has the setup to dip camo parts but I don't know if it would adhere to this material. Any Help?

foxx
03-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Rubbery?!
That's not an Accustock.
Sounds more like a Hogue to me. They are also avail with an aluminum rail.

I once had one for a 10/22. I don't think it can be dipped. Might check with Brownells see what they suggest. or check with Hogue.

2footroper
03-28-2014, 11:02 PM
It's the factory Accustock that came with the rifle.

foxx
03-28-2014, 11:26 PM
If it is the Accustock, I see no reason why you might doubt the dipping would adhere to it. They are no different than any old plastic stock, just have an aluminum rail and bedding for the action. Never heard anyone describe it the way you do. Unless he added some kind of rubber coating, I am 99.99% certain Savage never made anything like the Hogue Overmold. Does it have the savage logo on the pistol grip cap?

2footroper
03-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Yes it does have the logo. This is not a "plastic" stock. It is a composite. When I use a sand paper drum on the dremel it powders. It doesn't melt like plastic would.

snowgetter1
03-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Cut the front off just ahead of the aluminum block. I cut mine down to fit a varmint barrel 25-06 and just a different look, but if you cut it off it won't touch anymore.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/snowgetter1/DSCN6353_zpsdf0a5b51.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/snowgetter1/media/DSCN6353_zpsdf0a5b51.jpg.html)
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/snowgetter1/DSCN6354_zps642bc023.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/snowgetter1/media/DSCN6354_zps642bc023.jpg.html)

2footroper
03-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Man I like that look and less weight as well. Awesome idea. Thanks.

foxx
03-29-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry I was confused. Never thought the Savage composite stocks had a rubber feeling to them. Certainly the Hogues do. They are commonly referred to as plastic, though, by people such as myself that don't know any better. :)

Savage stocks are successfully dipped and painted and Duracoated all the time. Go for it!

2footroper
03-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info. Now I can invest more $$$ in my optics and bipod. :p Optics being the #1 cost. Way more then the rifle. :crazy:

proline
04-09-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm sorry I was confused. Never thought the Savage composite stocks had a rubber feeling to them. Certainly the Hogues do. They are commonly referred to as plastic, though, by people such as myself that don't know any better. :)

Savage stocks are successfully dipped and painted and Duracoated all the time. Go for it!

The long range hunter is the only one I've seen so far that savage has with a "rubbery" coating it's similar to the hogue or Brownings dura touch coating
I don't know how well it would work to paint but I have seen hogue stocks that have been dipped so it might work
Just my .02

2footroper
04-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Well my stock is in the shop for the dipping application of a film of camo. Hopefully it will turn out like it should. It will be at least 4 more weeks to get it back though. I'll post some photos when I get it back. Thanks for everyones help.