PDA

View Full Version : Which barrel for turkey?

foxx
03-28-2014, 09:44 AM
I am not a turkey hunter. (yet)

Last year I loaned a kid my BPS with a "bird" barrel, front bead and turkey choke tube, he got a nice tom with it.

I dug it out of the safe for him again this year, and realized I have a 20.5" smooth bore barrel with rifle sights that will also accept the turkey tube.

Which would you recommend he use?

mazda3gun
03-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Both are smooth bore and take the same choke? Then, whichever sights are preferred would be my choice. Theoretically, the longer the barrel(with a shotgun) and tighter the choke, the tighter the shot pattern over a greater distance. -I used to shoot A LOT of skeet/trap

foxx
03-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. So, in this case, whatever you gain with one you lose to the other.

Thanks.

mazda3gun
03-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Exactly! If the choke fits both, but one barrel is shorter and has the sights you want, you lose a little range. But, the longer barrel which has more range, only has a bead...

That's a conundrum!!!

You're better off with turkey, if possible, to get them inside of 30yds anyway. That way you get ample killage on the head/neck of the tasty bird no matter what choke/barrel is used. Or you could use a .270, knew a guy that did that one time, it exploded...

COplains
03-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Of my shotguns, I've found the Moss 500 with 28" barrel, full choke and loads I make myself is as good as I've ever been around. Buddies I hunt with have a number of more expensive scatter guns but none have out shot my custom Moss. I use a vent rail mounted light bar behind the front sight, Winchester and others make them, and find they do a fine job. I've taken turkey just short of 50 yds and I'm sure it could get a bit further out. I use a modified Pheasent load I also load, either 2 3/4 or 3", 1 3/8 oz with #4 shot. Works quite well. My Browning Gold doesn't match it.

big honkin jeep
03-28-2014, 07:59 PM
I prefer a shorter barrel if available. Much easier to use in tight quarters,much less mass to be seen moving, easier to carry

foxx
03-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, like I said, I don't turkey hunt, but I can see all your points. There are advantages to each, and just as I suspected, I could easily justify having a whole set of turkey guns, each setup a little differently depending on my mood and conditions... uh, oh...

RamShooter79
04-03-2014, 01:04 PM
foxx your absolutely right about having different setups I have several different turkey guns which one I take depends on where I hunting or how I want to hunt