PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire sav. hi-power

buntingmiester
03-27-2014, 09:43 PM
hello all, I'm new to this forum, joined because I've been advised it is knowledgeable/helpful site. Information I would like to glean is this, "Is there a modern action, or a readily available one that I could use to accept a .22 Sa. Hi-Power? My fathers first deer was dropped using that round back in 1946, and he has not used it since then. So I rounded up dies/brass/bullets to reload for him ( I lived in Cal. at the time, and he in Mich.) , when I informed him that I could now supply him with new rounds, he told me that he sold the gun!! Can't find a suitable rifle for the ammo, so it is either sell the stuff or make something to shoot the ammo. Any input will be gratefully recieved, regards, buntingmiester

bootsmcguire
03-27-2014, 10:58 PM
First thing that comes to mind would be to watch for a barrel for a T/C Contender in 22-HP. IIRC at one time is was an option available through their custom shop. Now I see their Contender offerings are minimal. Might check with one of the aftermarket Contender Barrel makers like SSK or one of the others whose name I cannot remember at this moment.

Otherwise I would think you are going to be searching for a Savage 99 chambered for it.

You may be able to convert a Savage 340 from 30-30 to a 22-HP since they use basically the same bolt head size. I have heard of a couple of guys chambering Savage 110 barrels in 30-30 and running them as single shots so I see no reason a 22-HP could not be done also.

The real trick may be finding a blank for the .228" bullets that the 22-HP uses, and then finding a smith/barrel maker that has the reamer.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Fireball
03-28-2014, 02:40 PM
I'd certainly sell the components before I'd build a custom rifle in that cartridge.

buntingmiester
03-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Sav. Hi-Power, Thanks fellas, my thoughts were to simply sell the components also, but perhaps there was a viable alternative? quess that takes care of that question, thanks again, buntingmiester

Mad Dog
03-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Another neat idea is the Brno ZH205. You can get them in an over under 22 HP over 12 ga.