PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: My 93FSS 22 WMR

JDouglas
03-27-2014, 09:11 PM
I am a new member and this is my first post. I purchased a 93FSS 22 WMR a couple weeks ago. I wanted to make a light rifle for calling raccoon here in Iowa that would have a little more power than a 22LR. I had a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 16 1/4" and finish the muzzle end with a target crown. The muzzle measures 0.65".
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1FTEXET5kpM/UyzqTTW90wI/AAAAAAAAAsU/mqk3_LMDfxQ/w785-h547-no/photo.JPG

I ordered a couple 10 round mags and another 5 round mag. All four were a sloppy fit in the rifle. After bending the tabs that slide onto the rifle they all fit snugly and rounds cycled smoothly in all of them.

I am a lefty and I decided a Evolution stock would work well on a right handed action so I ordered one along with the metal parts from DIP.

I received my Boyd's Evolution stock today and it was a drop in fit. It was a very nice tight fit with no slop. I decided to pillar bed the action in and did a quick job of it that turned out great. The DIP metal parts are very high quality and were a drop in fit into the stock. I also used the DIP action screws and they worked perfectly as well.

Then I mounted my Simmons 22 Mag 3-9X32 scope in my DNZ low mount. I would have liked the scope to be a little lower but to my surprise it pulls up to my eye just right with this stock.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but hope to get a chance this weekend. I have very limited ammo to try. I have some Armscor hollow points, Winchester hollow points, Winchester FMJ's, Scorpion hollow points, and some Speer Gold Dot for short barrels. Has anyone else tried these? I would like to get some Hornady or CCI.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AQQ7y5q6IYE/UzTELpwCKKI/AAAAAAAAAt0/jBSjX_z2Ypc/w957-h315-no/IMG_0844.JPG

I am interested in hearing if anyone else has a shortened 22 WMR.

bflee
03-27-2014, 10:07 PM
You will be lucky if it will shoot all of the winchester rounds. For some reason they do not like the 93. I have one and my father has one and there are several threads on here about it. They hit the primers hard, but the pin is thin so about 2 or 3 out of ten do not shoot. They are accurate if they shoot though. I just hate that click! Hornady 30 gr vmax is the ____. Shoots under 1/2" out of both our rifles. Good luck and enjoy. They are fun rifles.

bootsmcguire
03-27-2014, 11:29 PM
The one I had shot perfectly and very accurate with the Winchester Supreme 45gr tipped bullets. May be hard to find now, but if you can I'd give them a try.

Fellow Iowan here, what part of the state are you from?

JDouglas
03-28-2014, 07:16 PM
I am in Williamsburg, IA. I took it out shooting for the first time today. The Scorpion ammo shot 2 inch groups at 50 yards and they didn't feed from the magazine very well. I was expecting more from this rifle. bflee was right about the winchester, alot of them failed to go bang. I had about 50 rounds that someone traded me. The looked really old and were in a ziplock baggy. They shot a bit better than the Armscor/Scorpion when they did go bang.

The Gold Dot short barrel ammo shot a bit better than the Winchester from the baggy but still over an inch at 50 yards.

The Winchester Super X 40 grain FMJs shot about 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards and they fed just fine. This wouldn't be a very good racoon round so I shot the entire box for fun.

This rifle will be used as my primary raccon calling rifle and any of these rounds would work for this but I am a little disappointed in the accuracy so far. I am still hoping that the Hornady 30 grain VMax will shine in this rifle.

bootsmcguire
03-28-2014, 07:33 PM
the Winchester Dynapoints have yet to shoot well in any 22Mag I have seen so don't waste your money. CCI TNT hollow points were decent IIRC as is the V-Max stuff (which is what the Winchester I referenced above is loaded with IIRC). I never had much luck with any of the FMJ of any brand or any of the non-jacketed or plated loads (like the Dynapoints), the CCI V-Max loads or the Winchester Supreme (Black Box stuff) was what the local stores around here stocked that did well in mine. Didn't get to try the Hornady V-Max load, but I heard a rumor that it was the same exact stuff as the CCI version so I dunno on that one, but nowhere around here stocked the Hornady, only the CCI.

Never had the issue with the Winny stuff not firing, but there may be a quality difference between the White Box and the Black Box stuff too.

bflee
03-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Get some hornady 30 gr vmax and it will shoot like a champ I am sure. Its a little hard to find now but they had alot of it at the gun show in raleigh a few weeks back. I hope it comes back around again!

JDouglas
03-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Good news! My brother has four boxes of the Hornady 30 gr and after a little begging he gave me a box :p. I plan on shooting a five shot group and then sighting in with them with as few rounds as possible so I can save the rest for coon season.

bflee
03-28-2014, 08:24 PM
I think you will be happy with them. If it doesnt shoot well with those I would get worried!

JDouglas
03-28-2014, 09:05 PM
I hope to go shooting tomorrow morning and I will post the results here.

JDouglas
03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
I just got back from the range. I was able to trade a guy 1100 CCI mini mags for some CCI 40gr Gamepoints so I shot these today too.

I started with the Armscor. They made a group a little bigger than a quarter at 50 yards.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LEFa_w3hkx4/Uzc_mU9ijrI/AAAAAAAAAuM/JtBgkz_tCbw/w519-h572-no/armscor.JPG

I shot the Scorpion ammo again and it really is crappy out of this rifle. Over two inch groups at 50 yards. They look identical to the Armscor except for the stamp on the case but they are definitely different. Maybe they will do OK in your rifle but not in mine.

Then I tried out the Hornady 30 gr and was utterly disappointed. :mad: They shot about a two inch group at fifty yards. I shot three 5 shot groups all with the same results.:mad:

Laslty, I tried the CCI Gamepoints. I shot three groups and all three were about the size of a quarter. :D
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gpDsamCBVh4/Uzc_rqtpvLI/AAAAAAAAAuo/pLWRPURObW0/w590-h572-no/cci+gamepoints.JPG
I guess I will be using these and the Armscor for raccoon calling.

Do you think I should bed the action or maybe bed the first inch or two of the barrel?

bflee
03-29-2014, 06:27 PM
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/bflee1/2013-08-26182230_. zps13d31f60.jpgthis is what my 93 does at 100 yards. That is a 5 shot group.

bflee
03-29-2014, 06:31 PM
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/bflee1/2013-08-26182230-1_zps566c999f.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/bflee1/media/2013-08-26182230-1_zps566c999f.jpg.html)sorry! This is it.

bflee
03-29-2014, 06:37 PM
That is with the Hornady 30 grain vmax off a bench with a bipod.

JDouglas
03-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Nice shooting, I am wondering if I need to bed the action or bed under the barrel? I am going to put it back in the original stock and shoot it and see what it does. I have read mixed reviews on the 93 for 22 mag. Some get great accuracy like yours and others get what I have. This rifle won't see much bench shooting and as long as I can hit a raccoon in the head at 20 yards I will be happy but I am willing to try a few things to see if it can be improved.

bflee
03-29-2014, 09:33 PM
I dont shoot mine off the bench much either. That target was from when I first got it. It doesnt wear the bipod as it is my "cart gun" that I carry around my land. I bought my father one for Christmas and it is tight also. Both of our rifles are a Dicks Sporting goods exclusive heavy fluted barrel with the green stock. I paid 400 for mine with ammo and nikon bdc scope used. I bought his new with the cheap package scope for 280 bucks. I hope you can figure it out. I have never taken the stock off ours. They are both just as they were bought except I bent the magazine guide on both forward because it gets rid of the "wiggle" and makes them feed smooth. I cant believe those Hornady rounds dont shoot any better than that! If you dont want them I will take em! Just kidding. Good luck and keep me posted.

bflee
03-29-2014, 09:38 PM
This is what both of ours look like. Not as fancy as yours but I bought it to be a farm gun. http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/bflee1/2013-06-01104442_zps50915039.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/bflee1/media/2013-06-01104442_zps50915039.jpg.html)

JDouglas
03-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Nice looking rig. Mine is a sporter barrel which typically don't shoot as accurately as a bull barrel. I will give it a try in the original stock and then try it with a pressure pad under the barrel in the Evolution stock. If I don't get the results I want I will bed the action.

JDouglas
03-30-2014, 06:39 PM
I added a little more JB Weld to my pillars especially the front. I made a dam out of plastic and added a lot more strength to the front pillar. I bedded the first 1 1/2 inches of the barrel. I went to the range to test it out. It was very windy today with strong gusts. First I shot it with the plastic factory stock and it shot a little worse with this stock than it did on my last outing. Then I switched back to the Evolution stock with the barrel bedded and even with the windy conditions it shot better than my last range trip.
I shot this five shot group at 50 yards...
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kS9xsWjBQAg/UziZRAyYtqI/AAAAAAAAAu8/rvsnUjb6DT8/w523-h547-no/photo.JPG

I tried putting a layer of thin rubber under the barrel to create some upward pressure and it shot about the same but the poi was 12 clicks higher at 50 yards. I removed it and will leaving the rifle as is. It may not be as accurate as some of your heavy barreled rifles but I think it does just fine for a short sporter barrel. It should work great for raccoon calling.

I am very dissapointed with the magazines. I tweak them and they work for awhile but then jam up, dump rounds, or wobble around in the rifle. I've tried several of the fixes listed in this website and others and it seems to work for awhile but then fail.

bflee
03-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Have you tried bending the magazine guide forward a little at the time until your magazines dont wiggle? I tried alot of fixes listed here until I tried this and it works. Not bending the magazines, but the guide that the magazine slides on. Push it forward with a pair of needle nose ( 6-8") a little at the time till the mags dont wiggle. It will feed good then if it works like mine did. The modified and unmodified mags all work good now.

JDouglas
03-31-2014, 05:57 PM
I haven't tried that but I will. Thanks