PDA

View Full Version : How far down case neck to resize???

Digduggy
03-26-2014, 09:33 AM
So I just got a set of redding comp 30-06 dies, love the bullet seater so far, but an interesting thing popped up... People discussing not resizing the entire length of the neck.... Rather half to three quarters of the way down it... Supposedly it helps the round center in the chamber... Can anyone elaborate on this, or correct me if im wrong???

mudpig
03-26-2014, 11:44 AM
The idea is that you leave the bottom part of the neck fireformed to fit the chamber neck and only reduce/resize the upper portion to grab the bullet....hence you have a more accurately centered bullet. I use this method with my rifles with more generously chambered rifles. On tight neck chambered rifles it is not neccessary.

sharpshooter
03-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Do a complete full length resize. The idea that a small portion of the neck left unsized will center the bullet is nonsense. The case is centered by the taper on the shoulder.

Digduggy
03-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Did I just ask a question with two distinct and differing opinion floating around? Like which is better, 30-06 or 308??? Because we all know the former is far superior... hahaha

JASmith
03-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Do a complete full length resize. The idea that a small portion of the neck left unsized will center the bullet is nonsense. The case is centered by the taper on the shoulder.
If the headspace results in a snug fit, then yea verily the shoulder will center. Most of the time, however, the case is sized so there the bolt closes easily. In this case, there is enough room for the case to be slightly off center.

Hence the trick with the neck.

Hotolds442
03-26-2014, 07:45 PM
With his fired cases, John Hoover runs the case through a neck-sizing only bushing die. He tries to set the bushing to only size about 50-60% of the neck.” His three-stage process is: 1) Full-length size each case; 2) Expand neck; 3) Neck-size just the top half of the neck.

I believe I'll continue to partial neck size. If it works for John, I certainly don't have the credentials to argue.

eddiesindian
03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
(IMO).......You get more consistancy from simply using a collet die on your fire formed brass. Brass to chamber dimensions are identical from the base of "your" brass to the taper just before the neck.
(IMO)...When the round goes off, the reciever/bolt/barrel are recieving the same harmonics round to round.
Been using collet dies for yrs on different calibers and in total honesty have seen it improve consistantcy on my groupings on "some" of my bolt guns.....NOT ALL.
Only one way to find out.
Use the method you,ve heard about and give it a go and compare it to full length sizing. Whos knows....it just may be your ticket.
Whats works for one...may not work for someone else. I think thats what makes reloading so darn entertaining.

Digduggy
03-26-2014, 10:45 PM
I was getting amazing results only neck sizing from the start... till I realized my trimmer (wft) needs it to be FL resized... I will see how it goes partially sizing and see if it does anything to my groups... otherwise I will just use the ol' rcbs neck sizer again

sharpshooter
03-27-2014, 02:05 AM
Who's John Hoover?

Switchbarrel
03-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Who's John Hoover?

In case that's a serious question...

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek044/

I'm in CA. & I've heard of 'em.

eddiesindian
03-27-2014, 09:15 PM
I was getting amazing results only neck sizing from the start... till I realized my trimmer (wft) needs it to be FL resized... I will see how it goes partially sizing and see if it does anything to my groups... otherwise I will just use the ol' rcbs neck sizer again

roger that.
Our reloading inquireing minds seem to never quit. always looking for this and that to give us a better this and that. keeps me bizzy to say the least.

Digduggy
03-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Now that they are properly trimmed, i will only neck size...

I have come across a ton of once fired, so i havent been using neck only sized