PDA

View Full Version : Criterion barrel for Savage 10 FCP-K?

justeric
03-25-2014, 09:13 AM
I am considering changing my stock 308 10 FCP-K barrel to a Criterion 6.5 Creedmore barrel (or 260). I got a recommendation for the Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters Supplies. I am trying to decide on a contour. My knee jerk reaction is to go with the bull barrel since weight isn't much of an issue. My concern is if the bull barrel will fit inside my Savage Accustock. I think I will have to sand out the barrel channel on the stock but I don't know if there will be enough stock left to be stiff enough to put a bi pod on the stock and not have the stock bend up to the barrel when I shoot.

My questions are:
Do you have any thoughts on the Criterion barrels?
Do you have any thoughts on Northland Shooters Supplies? Please PM me with any negative feedback instead of posting on the thread.
Do you have any suggestions on the Contour? I guess the next step down from the Bull barrel is the Varmint.

My intended purpose of the gun will be long range (up to 1200 yards) tactical matches.

Thanks,
Eric

airdale
03-25-2014, 09:20 AM
I have purchased two Criterion barrels from NSS plus tools to do barrel changes, recoil lugs etc. Cannot recommend them highly enough, great people and great products.

Odindad
03-25-2014, 09:34 AM
My criterion barrel is very accurate. That seems to be the norm.
NSS is as good as it gets for customer service/advice. Just be patient if the barrel is not in stock.
I would go varmint profile for tac matches.

bsekf
03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
+3 Jim was great to work with, in fact I got the barrel a month early. I got the Heavy Varmint contour, it's a little heavy but doesn't warm up.

Bill

astross89
03-25-2014, 07:03 PM
I am considering changing my stock 308 10 FCP-K barrel to a Criterion 6.5 Creedmore barrel (or 260). I got a recommendation for the Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters Supplies. I am trying to decide on a contour. My knee jerk reaction is to go with the bull barrel since weight isn't much of an issue. My concern is if the bull barrel will fit inside my Savage Accustock. I think I will have to sand out the barrel channel on the stock but I don't know if there will be enough stock left to be stiff enough to put a bi pod on the stock and not have the stock bend up to the barrel when I shoot.

My questions are:
Do you have any thoughts on the Criterion barrels?
Do you have any thoughts on Northland Shooters Supplies? Please PM me with any negative feedback instead of posting on the thread.
Do you have any suggestions on the Contour? I guess the next step down from the Bull barrel is the Varmint.

My intended purpose of the gun will be long range (up to 1200 yards) tactical matches.

Thanks,
Eric

sell your stock barrel? fluted and threaded?

dmm08300
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
My Criterion shoots amazing, bought another one for a build for a friend and it shoots great as well. Jim at NSS is great to deal with, very helpful. There is nothing like calling and being able to talk to a live person on the other end of the line, and one that is knowledgeable as well...that's getting hard to find these days. You can't go wrong dealing with Jim or buying the Criterion.

justeric
03-25-2014, 09:31 PM
I am in full agreement with everyone's recommendation on Jim from NSS. He was a pleasure to do business with!

justeric
03-25-2014, 09:34 PM
sell your stock barrel? fluted and threaded?

I think I'll hold on to my stock 308 barrel. I have all the reloading dies and 300+ 175 SMK's. The 308 shoots sub MOA but I'm looking for an easier gun to shoot at very long distances. I'll have all the equipment and know how to switch barrels. Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered that.

Maztech89
03-25-2014, 11:06 PM
I can't say enough good about the quality of product and customer service I have received from NSS. I highly doubt you will get any negative feedback about him. I can't ever think of a time that I've had a phone call go as smoothly as the ones with NSS. (Ruger warranty center is close though) It may take a few tries to get through to order but it's always been well worth the effort. The fact he's so busy is a good indication of others satisfaction too!