PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Barrels

Pages : 1 [2]

Stockrex
05-02-2014, 12:04 PM
FYI: I found that EGW and other major manufacturers provide screws that are too long for the front base and the screw binds with the barrel, you can test this by dropping in a small ball of wax and then fitting the base and then remove the screw and check the wax ball, if wax is totally crushed and you can see the threads, then the screw is too long.

davbrant
05-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Ditto on Criterion and Northland. 20 practical, varmint contour. 32gr VMax, VVn133. .2-.3" when I do right.

bowbrother
05-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Guys I've got five of the CBI barrels four for my Savages' and one on my AR and they all are great. Only caliber I am struggling with is 22 250 1-9 shooting 53 gr. Vmax. Jim is a good guy to deal with. Only other issue has been the wait time over the past year from CBI.
Good shooting.

kimbajmann
06-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Hi. I am very happy to announce my experience with a new 308 criterion 24" varmint contour barrel for a small shank savage action along with a heavy stainless barrel nut and a heavy barrel lug that I purchased from Jim Briggs, Northland Shooters Supply. Friday the March 21 2014 I went to the range to sight in a new Shepherd V2 scope it only took 3 shots to zero the next five shots formed a group of no more than 3/8s of an inch. The ammo was 308 168gr Fed GMM. Thank you very much criterion. Good shooting everyone.

I bought a 24" light varm in 260 from him and he took time to explain things to me on the phone regarding his recoil lugs. The guy is stand up and the barrel is just as good as my shillen 260 that I have on my other rifle. The light var is a tad to thick for a hunting rifle , but I do not mind humping the weight. I cannot say anything bad about it as it shoots well and no leading/ copper fouling to speak of - cleaning is a breeze, chamber is great for the 140 class bullets. I would shave off 20 thou all around if I wanted a lighter hunter- in between the crit light var and say a magnum sporter.

Rooster 50
06-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Did you get your problem corrected?

I did. Sorry it took me so long to answer. Got sidetracked with a 280 AI build. And finishing the stock on my Fox 16 ga

kimbajmann
06-04-2014, 10:13 AM
I would ask what action are you using

Ihad that happen on a sav 14 action that I got in 308

The factory at sav seems to gall some the thread on some from time to time

I had a real hard time geting the barrel off and upon looking at it, it seemed to have boogerd threads. I did manage to get The replacement barrel on, but it was a hard screw

I am sure it was a defect caused by savage at the factory- am equally sure yours us same. Never seen an after market missthreaded

It had nothing to do with the barrel nut. The barrel nut is on the barrel from Criterion and it was screwed all the way out. I am talking about the threads sticking about 2/3's of the way into the action. It wasn't even screwed all the way in when it stuck. And the barrel nut(the new one) never got near the action. I didn't try to headspace it I just wanted to screw it in and see how the barrel was gonna fit into the barrel channel on my HS Precision stock.

kimbajmann
06-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Those are the actions you either send to savage to fix or scew the original back on and sell off as they will do the same to every barrel ya stick on them. The vast majority of the actions are fine but a few suffer from operator error on the install at the factory.

Fishf40
06-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Be careful not to over-torque the action vise. It WILL pinch the action, and with very tight threads, even 1/10,000 can make a difference. I don't torque mine any more than 20 ft/lbs.

EOD350
06-30-2014, 08:23 AM
I just put a Criterion on a 30-06 Rem/Age set-up on a Remington action I trued up. It shoots 1/2 5 shots at 100 regularly. Very good drop in barrels.