PDA

View Full Version : Converting rh bolt action into lh ?

chukarmandoo
03-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Okay, since I got my LH FCP-SR with right port I'm wondering if I get the left hand bolt parts and install them on my RH 110 action will it work? The only problem I see at this point is where the action is milled out for the bolt handle. If I were to inlet the action would this make the tang to weak? Any thoughts ? So far the cost would be less than $100 plus labor.

missed
03-24-2014, 07:59 PM
There is another groove that has to be machined sss does it. It's like $250 and includes the time and true. I have thought about going this route for a 6xc build on a right port target action.

chukarmandoo
03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Do you know what other groove needs work? I plan on using the same front baffle and bolt head.

SFLEFTY
03-24-2014, 10:38 PM
No other groove, but the front locking lug ramps have to be added for LH bolt rotation, opposite of RH.

chukarmandoo
03-24-2014, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Still wondering about the extra cutout for the bolt and if it weaken the tang to much?

bootsmcguire
03-25-2014, 12:30 AM
I highly doubt that the extra cut would weaken the tang enough to cause problems. If you are properly floating the tang like a person should on a Savage, then the tang is really only supporting the safety and trigger assemblies.

The big issue for this conversion is as mentioned above, the re-working of the lug ramps inside the action to work with left handed rotation.

If you are just doing this to a standard 110 action, I think I would just trade your RH action for a LH'ed action and be done.

chukarmandoo
03-25-2014, 09:57 AM
"If you are just doing this to a standard 110 action, I think I would just trade your RH action for a LH'ed action and be done."

Thanks boots. I understand what you're saying but I think I'd leave it the way it is before I'd put the port on the left side. Over the years I've gotten so used to it being that way but the bolt handle being on the left side has been a great improvement.

chukarmandoo
03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
There is another groove that has to be machined sss does it. It's like $250 and includes the time and true. I have thought about going this route for a 6xc build on a right port target action.
I did notice that on my left hand right port FCP-SR that the front baffle is cut on the left side and fits in a grove on the left rail. Is this what you were talking about? Also wondering if this is a "must". Right now on the action I want to change its on the right.