PDA

View Full Version : Wideners alert, lots of people's personal accounts hacked after ordering early Mar.

Jetpig
03-24-2014, 01:23 PM
I ordered 3/5, bank called me today. Cards suspended. Lots of folks on AR15.com, general have been hit. Any of you all??

CharlieNC
03-24-2014, 03:45 PM
I did, but the bank has not been able to determine the source of the fraud. This fits the timing!

thermaler
03-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Was AR 15 breached or a vendor link??

Jetpig
03-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Someone posted they got hacked in the general discussion thread. It has since made it to the reloading thread. I saw the thread yesterday morning early before heading out. Stopped to get gas and wa-la. card no work. Message on the display says transaction denied, collect card. Next stop was the bank and sure enough. Several $889 charges attempted. Bank caught it and shut the card down immediately. I called Wideners on the way to the bank and lady said she had gotten lots of calls concerning this and they were looking into it.

thermaler
03-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Someone posted they got hacked in the general discussion thread. It has since made it to the reloading thread. I saw the thread yesterday morning early before heading out. Stopped to get gas and wa-la. card no work. Message on the display says transaction denied, collect card. Next stop was the bank and sure enough. Several $889 charges attempted. Bank caught it and shut the card down immediately. I called Wideners on the way to the bank and lady said she had gotten lots of calls concerning this and they were looking into it.I'm a member on AR15--I'm trying to figure out if ALL members are at risk of getting hacked?

Hotolds442
03-25-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm a member on AR15--I'm trying to figure out if ALL members are at risk of getting hacked?
Did you not notice the thread title: "Widener's alert"?

thermaler
03-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Did you not notice the thread title: "Widener's alert"?
You don't say? Did you notice the post also said "Lots of folks on AR15.com, general have been hit." ?

Hotolds442
03-25-2014, 04:49 PM
You don't say? Did you notice the post also said "Lots of folks on AR15.com, general have been hit." ?

Read it however you want.

The many "in-stock" threads on Arfcom are why it's generally people on arfcom.

thermaler
03-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Read it however you want.

The many "in-stock" threads on Arfcom are why it's generally people on arfcom.I do like your signature. : )

bani
03-29-2014, 02:32 AM
wideners website was compromised by a hacker and credit cards stolen. they finally posted an admission on their website.

i notified them back on march 13th. guess they should have taken me more seriously.

i suspect more than their credit cards were stolen, as i detected it by getting spam to the unique email address i use only for wideners. so i suspect their email database got stolen as well.

thermaler
03-29-2014, 05:18 AM
wideners website was compromised by a hacker and credit cards stolen. they finally posted an admission on their website.

i notified them back on march 13th. guess they should have taken me more seriously.

i suspect more than their credit cards were stolen, as i detected it by getting spam to the unique email address i use only for wideners. so i suspect their email database got stolen as well.
They are a pretty specialized e-merchant in the bigger scheme of things in the Internet world--I wonder how vulnerable other firearms-related sites are; many of them appear to be rather low-tech jobs.

Hotolds442
03-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Rogers Sporting Goods has also been hacked, they've known about it since November or December and have not publicly acknowledged it, nor have they solved the problem.
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=968381