PDA

View Full Version : 114 Trigger Guard is made of??????

eaglerage7
03-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi fellas, I'm new to this site. Spent my X-Mas overtime pay on a new 114 in 300 Win mag. My rifle has the button on the trigger guard for the bolt release. If I didn't know any better I think the trigger guard is made of plastic. Does anyone know if this is the case or it is some other light weight metal, like what Remington has been using on the 700 SPS? I love the rifle and I can't wait to hunt with it just feel like something as nice as the 114 American Classics shouldn't have plastic trigger guards.

foxx
03-22-2014, 10:03 PM
It's plastic, but a nice rifle, for sure.

You can call savage and get metal one if you like. Unless you plan on bedding it, though, I don't think it will matter much. I say that because, ideally, you should pillar and bed it. If it is bedded properly, the action screws will turn freely then suddenly STOP. If it gradually tightens, it is a sure indication the action is stressed and flexing some in the stock as you draw down on the action screws. The plastic trigger guard will compress, though, under the head of the screw and maybe break or possibly negate your efforts to relieve any stress with the bedding job. Short of that, I would not worry about it.

Shoot it and enjoy it. It's a beauty.

eaglerage7
03-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks, it is factory pillar bedded.

foxx
03-22-2014, 10:35 PM
A steel guard is about $25. I'd do it. Then, when tightening against the metal guard, see if it tightens as I said. Sometimes factory pillars are short.

Savage6x284
03-24-2014, 04:43 AM
The 114/14 occupies a position very near the top in what is Savage's premier rifle line.
The fact that they ship this rifle with a plastic TG is silly and cheap and it screams profit uber alles.
I would think that the pride derived by producing a rifle which can, in all aspects, compete against any sub-$2000 rifle out there would be worth the extra $10 it'd cost to use a steel TG instead of plastic.
Seems Savage views this differently.

foxx
03-24-2014, 08:57 AM
I think they view the guard as perfectly functional and lightweight. If someone does not see the benefit of bedding it, there really is no need for or improvement with a metal trigger guard. It's kind of like buying a Cadillac without all the options. It is still a Cadillac. Or a Ford. Or a Chevy. :)

Me, I would bed it. But if I did not bed it, the rifle will not be any better with a metal trigger guard.

I believe that is how they look at it. I am not saying they are 100% right. Also, there are always things or corners to be cut and costs that can be shaven off a product that does, when all added-up, make a company profitable or unprofitable. Personally, I am a big fan of the company. I believe they make an extraordinary product that performs its fundamental job very well and very affordably. Moreover, it is a product that is very easily upgraded by the end-user (that's me) and is unashamed of it's target market (that's also me).

The company has never changed this philosophy, and has, in the past, faced financial difficulty to the point of bankruptcy. I hope they stay in business for a long time. If that means I have to occasionally put add'l effort into buying extra parts/options that do not come standard, even in their higher-priced products, I am okay with that. I think that's partly due to the fact I do not take insult to or by their product. I make it what I want and enjoy it for what it is.

Hotolds442
03-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Well said Norm.

Savage6x284
03-25-2014, 01:56 PM
If the price on a 114 were $10 higher due to using a steel TG would you not buy it?

These 114/14 rifles are very nearly the halo items in the Savage line. Their material specifications and fit and finish should, IMO, reflect that lofty status.

foxx
03-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Absolutely, Savage6x284 and I am not saying they are right or you are wrong. However, I bet those plastic triggers cost .01 and the metal ones are a LOT closer to $15 more. My guess is they would have to price it closer to $20 more, and they just don't see it selling more units at that price. To them, it is not about pride in workmanship, it is about survival. In a way, that's what you said originally. I am just trying not to knock them for it (or give them the benefit of the doubt) because, right or wrong, it is not a reflection of the product as much as their market. :)

chukarmandoo
03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
I bought a LWH and found out the trigger guard was plastic. It was disappointing. What made things worse was when I took it off and then went to reinstall it I broke it! I called Savage to grip about it and they were very nice about it and sent me a new one (FREE). They are a super company to deal with! That being said, I have a older (around 2000) model 111 that is all steel except for the stock, which is plastic, and it is the nicest rifle I own. Worth way more to me than what I paid for it new.

foxx
03-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Chukar, I was thinking that the LWH is the finest and nicest. :) It is absolutely beautiful! But how many of those did they sell last year? I bet they didn't sell very many. Look at the lefty models. They aren't gonna be making those for a while, either. It is about money. But let's not bash 'em for that if they are otherwise honest and fair.