PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy is horrible. Best is 3" at 100yard with random 6" from center too

Pages : 1 [2]

short round
03-24-2014, 12:22 PM
400 rounds, down the barrel, no mention of cleaning, might be needing a good cleaning, with copper removing bore cleaner.

Slickrock
03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
I just bought a boyd's stock. Hopefully that helps accuracy. I did pull the barrel and took a closer look at the stock. There were definite rub marks from the barrel which should not have been happen since the barrel lug is supposed to keep them from making contact. So I took out a file and a razor blade and started shaving the stock. I can easily run two pieces (thick) of printer paper, without drag, between the barrel and stock now. I haven't been able to test fire it but until the stock gets here in about 3 weeks, it should improve the accuracy a bit. Thanks for the videos and links to bed and modify the stock. I decided to not spend the time and money polishing a turd and went with a Boyd's. If the accuracy is still horrible, I will send the barrel back under warranty.

One comment I'd like to address is the one about cleaning. I stated early on that I clean the rifle after every time I go to the range following Savage's cleaning recommendations which is pretty traditional and I have been following those procedures since I was a kid. I also followed their break-in procedure to the letter when I first fired the gun (Very time consuming to do it correctly) so a dirty barrel/gun isn't an issue.

It also keeps coming up about my final scope choice. Yes it is a high end BSA, but that is all I could afford for this rifle. I HAVE installed a Leopold scope designed for a 30 cals and 30-06 and rings borrowed from a friend to make sure it wasn't a scope or ring issue. Same issues every time no matter the optics. I never used the factory scope it came with. That, along with the mounts, went on my son's BB gun. In total I went through 3 different mounts and 3 scopes to make sure optics wasn't an issue.

Thanks again for all the words of advice. I will post any improvements from shaving the stock down and again when I put on the Boyd's.

LHitchcox
03-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Float the barrel fully and run a good decoppering agent through the barrel. Check the action screws and scope base screws for tightness and excess length. Stock screws can bottom out and let the action move in the stock. I have often needed to remove one or two threads to keep the screws from bottoming out.

bflee
03-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Dont clean it as much either. It will shoot better.

tufrthnails
03-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Dont clean it as much either. It will shoot better.
X2 Before I got my Savage I cleaned religiously. Now I clean the action, but not the barrel until the groups open up.