PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93g 22 WMR

quiet 22
03-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Just traded up to a 93g ...posted my
range results under rimfire website and I thought I would share ...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539803

thomae
03-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. I think you will enjoy your Savage rifle.

Not trying to to be snarky, but if you want people to see your photos, it would be considerate for you to post the actual pictures, instead of posting a link to another forum which the reader has to go to, scroll down to the appropriate post, and then click on the link to display the pictures you want him or her to see.

Westcliffe01
03-23-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm sad to report that my 93 BTVS is not in the same league at all. 3" groups at 75 yards is the best I get it to do with any ammo I can get my hands on. Have bedded the action, makes no difference. My magazines did not fit or feed, but I got that issue solved so they all work now. I wish someone made a barrel for it, since I'm pretty sure the barrel/chamber/crown is the issue.

quiet 22
03-23-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm sad to report that my 93 BTVS is not in the same league at all. 3" groups at 75 yards is the best I get it to do with any ammo I can get my hands on. Have bedded the action, makes no difference. My magazines did not fit or feed, but I got that issue solved so they all work now. I wish someone made a barrel for it, since I'm pretty sure the barrel/chamber/crown is the issue.

Hello.........thank you both for the replies. Forgive my using a link on the 1st post.......I'm kind of software ignorant!!

I am sorry that Westcliffe has tried to pull the best out his 93 without success. Sounds like I might look to trade for another or something different after all the work you put forth.

I may just have been lucky...new barrel, unseasoned....maybe it will get worse as I progress down the road...time will tell.

Again, thank you for the welcome....I'm glad to talk about the 93!

Westcliffe01
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
I think there is a perception at Savage that it is simply a cheap rimfire rifle, but in fact it costs every bit as much money as a centerfire axis.

It seems Savage could have given a bit more thought to the stock/action interface which is honestly quite a mess. The 22mag is also apparently very sensitive to chamber dimensions, it seems there is a cottage industry that supports accurizing various rimfire rifles, but Savage does not feature prominently. The fact that the barrel is pinned on AK style probably does not help. The pinning by itself, in combination with the action/barrel tolerances is also likely part of the equation. I would honestly like mine inspected by a decent barrel maker to get feedback over any issues.

At this point, I think I will go for a Browning T bolt, which I believe is made in Japan to see how that pans out.

quiet 22
03-23-2014, 10:26 PM
I think there is a perception at Savage that it is simply a cheap rimfire rifle, but in fact it costs every bit as much money as a centerfire axis.

It seems Savage could have given a bit more thought to the stock/action interface which is honestly quite a mess. The 22mag is also apparently very sensitive to chamber dimensions, it seems there is a cottage industry that supports accurizing various rimfire rifles, but Savage does not feature prominently. The fact that the barrel is pinned on AK style probably does not help. The pinning by itself, in combination with the action/barrel tolerances is also likely part of the equation. I would honestly like mine inspected by a decent barrel maker to get feedback over any issues.

At this point, I think I will go for a Browning T bolt, which I believe is made in Japan to see how that pans out.

....maybe I was plain lucky with this....maybe it won't last based on your construction concerns.....maybe I should have spent $200 more for the CZ 455.......

Sorry there are so many structural concerns you have learned about.

Westcliffe01
03-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Don't worry, the first 22 mag I bought was the CZ 512. It shoots like crap too.. Had a gritty trigger that I had to rework, at least the way they put the trigger module together it is easy to do. Nice quality work, just not much better than 4-5MOA at 100 yards. That one cost me even more than the Savage. If I had gotten one of the bolt actions from them, it probably would have been better.

limige
03-25-2014, 03:29 AM
Nice i tried some win x 40 gr hp and some cci 30 gr vmax and both grouped rather well.

Finding ammo is a pita. Im not paying 50-60 cents a round. At this point I wont shoot the gun unless I have a critter to dispatch.

22-250 is cheaper for me to shoot at this point and time.

Westcliffe01
03-25-2014, 08:53 PM
The reason I bought the stainless model 93 is because MANY people raved about how great THEIR rifle was, including youtube videos.

....maybe I was plain lucky with this....maybe it won't last based on your construction concerns.....maybe I should have spent $200 more for the CZ 455.......

Sorry there are so many structural concerns you have learned about.

UncleSarge58
03-26-2014, 05:45 PM

Picked mine up at a Local Pawn Shop OTD 4 Less than $145.
It came w/ a Simmons 4X Scope(Sold it), Tasco Alum. Rings & 2 pc. Bases.
All I did was Mount a Buschnell Banner 3-9X40 on it & Tune the Trigger as per Instructions on this Site.
I Camo Painted the Stock & Camo Wrapped the Scope, Before I ever Shot it.
Took it to the Range & got Fantastic Groups with it. (< 3/4in 3rd groups @ 75yds & +-1/4in @ 50yds)
At 100yds I have gotten 25rds to group into 2.5in w/ a 5-7mph Cross Wind.
Just Wish I could Find Ammo 4 it. Luckily I have 250rds Stashed away 4 When I Really Need it.
Guess I'm just Lucky, But I Love Mine.
UncleSarge58

limige
03-27-2014, 04:49 AM
Wheres the trigger tune info? Havent looked at it yet.

UncleSarge58
03-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Go Here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46774

bflee
03-27-2014, 12:00 PM
If you have a CZ and a savage 93 that wont shoot sub MOA i would try different ammo or check my shooting!
I have a 93 22WMR that will shoot 1/2" MOA with the Hornady 30 gr. varmint and winchester 30 gr varmint. With the CCI stuff it only shoots 1 1/2" or so. I love mine and have bought one for my father that shoots just as good last Christmas. I am sorry yours is not the same, but I would check the ammo first. Both mine and my fathers will not fire about 2-3 rounds out of 10 of he winchester because of primer issues bit when hey shoot they are accurate.

Westcliffe01
03-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Do you have any non CCI ammo for sale ??? Last 22 mag ammo I was able to buy was the week before Sandy hook. Since then, NADA. Have had some on back order at Midway since Dec so that means they have not had anything come in whatsoever.

In the same time period, I shot regular 1/2" groups with my model 10 223, model 12 243 AI, a 1/4" group with my model 10 308 and a 2" 320 yard group with a 308 TC Icon using a 6x fixed scope and "kentucky windage". So its not the shooter. I bought the CZ about 2 years prior. In retrospect getting a semi auto was probably a bad idea since they are inherently compromised to feed and chamber at the speed they do.

bflee
03-27-2014, 09:34 PM
I have been able to catch some in wally world a few times. Where are you located and i will see if i can get you some.

bflee
03-27-2014, 09:36 PM
I guess its not the shooter! I find the 30 gr and the 50 shoot good in my Savage, but not the 40. Go figure. What weight do you want and I can look.

Westcliffe01
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
All I have is the CCI 30gr Poly tip Vmax. I have been trying to get 40 and 50gr since that might work better. The main use for this rifle is night time coyote hunting and that season closes in a few days.

bflee
03-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Wow. We can shoot the coyotes and hogs year round down here in NC. Since you have a while to worry aboit it check out "gunbot 22wmr" on the web. I have ordered some bulk armscor before on there and its pretty good. You kinda have to order bulk to get a deal with the shipping costs. I have a few boxes left right now but I havnt been looking at the store for a few months. I use the 22wmr for a "cart gun". It stays with me around the farm for hogs, coyotes, beavers, and crows. It will kill just about anything if it can shoot accurate. Most shots are under 120 yards. Check out gunbot but if you cant find anything message me and I will see what I can do for you. The 50 grain are the hardest to get around here. Good luck!