PDA

View Full Version : Centerfeed Problems??

taylorce1
03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Picked up a used Steven's 200 in .223 today. Price was pretty right so I'm not complaining too much but the bolt hangs up on the magazine when I try to close it. I haven't pulled the rifle apart yet to figure it out yet, hope to do that tomorrow. Anyway has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks!

BillPa
03-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Picked up a used Steven's 200 in .223 today. Price was pretty right so I'm not complaining too much but the bolt hangs up on the magazine when I try to close it. I haven't pulled the rifle apart yet to figure it out yet, hope to do that tomorrow. Anyway has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks!

Not yet on my three with centerfeed mags...but there's always hope! ;D

Actually, two are still in the box unfired, a 14 and 114, but on the other 14( hinged mag) the floor plate inletting was just deep enough in the front to allow the mag set a little too high and the bolt would rub on it. A thin washer (spare part from a Rem 700 BDL) between the stock and floor plate took care of it.

It sounds as though you may be seeing the same issue. Try loosening the front action screw a turn or two to let the action move up away from the mag a bit and see if that cures it. If it does the next problem is how to fix it with the blind mag. Either the action would need to set a bit higher or the mag set a little deeper in the stock. I'm not sure which plan of abuse I'd try. ;D

Bill

ellobo
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
seems to me you shouldnt have to do either one on a new rifle.

El Lobo

davemuzz
03-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Could be something just as simple as an "adjustment" to your feed lips.....if your bolt is in fact hitting the feed lips.

Look at the top of the feed lips and see if they are nice 'n shiny from the bolt coming in contact with them. If they are, and you still want to check them, take a black marker and mark the feed lips up, and cycle your bolt across 'em and then take a small flashlight and see if you have removed any of the marker.

If so, it may be as simple as taking a brass flat nose punch and a small brass hammer, and with some diligence, tapping the feed lips down so they just clear the bolt. Don't smack 'em too hard or you will create other problems.

If you don't feel comfy doing this, take the gun to the dealer.

Dave

taylorce1
03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm pretty comfy doning most things that require hand tools. Turned my first Stevens into a 6mm-222 Rem Mag with the help of Sinman and SSS. Picked this rifle up mainly because of the scope a Burris FFII 2-7 and got it about $75 cheaper than the new Camo packaged deals in the 200 model. However it is the gray stocked version, but a couple cans of spray paint will fix that vey soon, and the money I saved will help pay for a new trigger. Probably will just leave this one a .223 since I can always use one of those anyway to match my other rifles in this chambering.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out this morning!

taylorce1
03-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Okay, tore it apart and think the problem is with the trigger guard. Origianl owner replaced the plastic one with a metal. There was a washer under the receiver screw. I noticed the trigger guard isn't flush with the stock even when snugged down. Looks like I'm going to have to bed it.

davemuzz
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
HMmmm......I replaced my plastic trigger guard with a stainless one on my Stevens tupperware stock as well. I just don't like those plastic trigger guards. Stocks I'm OK with.

There is no washer under\over\around\or through the screws that hold the trigger guard on. On screw holds one end of the guard on, and the other screw does "double duty" and holds the guard on and the stock to the receiver. Also, on these Stevens plastic stocks, the factory told me the torque should be 25 in\lbs for both front and rear screws. Tighten the front screw (muzzle end) first, followed by the rear last. BTW, 25 in\lbs is not much in the way of torque. So if you don't have a in\lb screw driver, it's just a turn more than when the screw first snugs everything up.

Could be that your screws are tightened up with the Roller Derby Championship team members and that's causing the mag to be pushed up against the bolt. Way too much torque.

Just a thought.

Dave

taylorce1
03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I think the guy was just using the washer to try and get the rear action screw to tighten the trigger guard down flush with the stock for a better appearance. The action screws were a little tight. Well I've got it all torn apart and the stock painted and drying, need to get ahold of SSS and have them send me a new trigger soon.

sharpshooter
03-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Some of the Stevens used a different trigger guard. It is a transitional piece based off the new bolt release trigger guards found on Accustock guns. It is thicker on the front and when replacing it with a steel version a spacer is needed to bring it up to the correct height.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/stevenstg.jpg

davemuzz
03-19-2010, 05:49 AM
;D ::) :P :'( See there. I didn't know that.