PDA

View Full Version : .223WSSM: Locating correct action/bolt problem!

fla9-40
03-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Can anyone lead me in the right direction on which action/bolt is required for this round?
I have the magnum .532 bolt head that I’m trying to install on the bolt.
What I have tried so far:

1) Model 11 Bottom Bolt Release Trophy Hunter XP in .308 w/accutrigger SA
2) Model 110 Savage in .243 (Factory LA rifle before SA came along I was told)
3) Stevens 200 SA in .223

Problem with #1: This model has a bell on the firing pin shaft that will not let the pin come through the head and strike the primer.
The Magnum shaft is about 3/16” (just guessing) longer then the Mod 11

Problem with #2: The Magnum shaft is about 3/16” (just guessing) longer then the Mod 110, thus not letting the pin come through
the head and strike the primer

Problem with #3: The Magnum shaft is about 3/16” (just guessing) longer then the Stevens 200, thus not letting the pin come through
the head and strike the primer.

In the picture you will notice the magnum head is longer in length and the lug is also longer, as this is the problem with all three models I tried above.

Seems the pin hits the shaft of the magnum bolt head in all three cases.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

http://www.nettally.com/kwd/bolthead.JPG

snowgetter1
03-22-2014, 03:27 PM
File/cut down the mag bolt face to the same length as the regular short action. I had converted a model 11 to single shot 243 wssm. I think I changed the firing pin, but if you shorten the mag bolt face you should be good to go.

snowgetter1
03-22-2014, 03:29 PM
I think. Drilled a new deeper hole from the back of the bolt face towards the front to allow the pin to go in properly. Sorry I can't remember what it took.

bootsmcguire
03-22-2014, 03:35 PM
#1 and #3 are short actions so as Snowgetter1 said, the stem of the head must be shortened and the chamfer recut in the end of the stem.

On #2, since it is a long action the head should fit, but I am going to bet that the Magnum head you have is for a newer small diameter firing pin setup and that older 110 probably has the older larger diameter firing pin.

You can get there from here. I would pick the action you want to work with and we can steer you through how to get it working. I am hoping you are going to make this rig a single shot cuz getting the WSSM to feed is going to be a challenge.

fla9-40
03-22-2014, 06:26 PM
I have ruled out #1...I put a 22-250 varmint barrel on it and shot it yesterday....

I would like to use the model 110 for this if I could. I will be single feeding this rig, will not ever use a mag.
I did check and the 110 is the large firing pin.

If that does not work, I can go with the Stevens if possible seeing it is a SA already.

Thanks for the replies!

bootsmcguire
03-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Did you check if the bolt head is a small dia pin head or a large?

If its the small I'll bet someone would trade you for their older large pin one, I'd put a WTB thread up in the WTB Classified board.

fla9-40
03-24-2014, 07:43 PM
boots I did check and the magnum bolt head is a small pin....

fgw_in_fla
03-24-2014, 08:14 PM
I figured if anyone had info about this set up, Boots would. I think he has a little "inside info" on it...

You get it figured out yet Ken?

fla9-40
03-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Yep Frank 'ol boots said he know a little about this setup =;)

Have not figured it out yet, I was wondering if an action and bolt from an AXIS in .308 would do the trick??

bootsmcguire
03-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Run as a single shot you can make an Axis work, but the Axis was never designed to chamber a Magnum cartridge and to the best of my knowledge Savage intended it that way. That's not saying you can't but I'd feel a ton better about using a standard 10/110 style action over the Axis.

All Axis' rifles use SA bolt heads so the shortening of the stem as described above would be needed anyway. I think that the 110 action (#2) is still going to be your best bet. I see you mentioned that the Mag bolt head you have is for the smaller diameter pin, is the 110-LA pin a large or small diameter pin?

If its a larger, you could just buy a new pin like THIS ONE (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115418/savage-arms-firing-pin-30-06-springfield-standard-magnum-model-110-111?cm_vc=ProductFinding) and be all set. You'll just have to switch over the hardware and reset the pin protrusion.

I also see that the complete pin assembly like THIS ONE (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/630992/savage-arms-firing-pin-assembly-small-version-long-action-m112-7mm-stw-30-06-springfield-300-winchester-magnum-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding) is available for a little more. Both pins are showing in stock at this time.

fla9-40
03-24-2014, 09:12 PM
The 110 is a large pin for sure...I looked at the links you sent and the complete assembly looks like the way to go. I think I will order one!

Thanks boot for the info!

bootsmcguire
03-24-2014, 09:50 PM
No prob. Glad to help. Just remember you still need to check the pin protrusion with the new pin.

fla9-40
03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
No prob. Glad to help. Just remember you still need to check the pin protrusion with the new pin.

Will do... I will keep ya'll informed on how it turns out for sure...