PDA

View Full Version : New 112 BVSS in 300 Win Mag

OKMike
03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Just got my new savage today, can't wait to get my base in and go blasting. I've got an EGW 20 min base coming, XTR rings and the new Vortex will go on top when it finally comes out. Gonna put a borrowed BSA 8-32 power on it for now. Hopefully will be shooting by this weekend. Gonna load some 208 AMAXs and possibly some 210 bergers. If this gun shoots as well as it looks, I'm in business

Mike ;D

Uncle Jack
03-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Depending what your needs are, you might consider the 190 SMKs.

uj

MT_Hunter
03-24-2010, 04:07 AM
OKMike,
Welcome to the forum from another new member whose been lurking for a long time. I'm interested to hear how your gun shoots for you. I recently purchased a 112 VLP in 300 win mag from Jim at Northland. I'm also waiting for a Viper PST, 4-16 FFP Mil/Mil. and it seems like it will be forever before it gets here!

I've only put 10 rounds down the pipe on mine for some pre-accurizing testing. Shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 gr (cheap and I've had good luck with it in other calibers) my last 3-shot group measured right at 7/8". I bedded the rifle last weekend but have yet to get out to measure the improvement. Regardless, I think I'll be happy if it can shoot cheap factory ammo that good. I can't wait to try some handloads. I've got some 200 gr. SMK's and 200 gr. Accubonds waiting to be loaded.

I'm interested to hear how the Bergers work for you. I'd like to give them a try.

I hope you're as happy with your new gun as I am with mine.

Ryan

dcloco
03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Have only used Nosler 180 gr BT's and Hornady 208 gr AMax's in my Savage. Accuracy has been, well, excellent for both. If you plan on reaching out there, 208's definitely fly better in the wind. Best 5 shot group, IN the wind, at 1000 yards was under 10.5".

IMYURHUCKLEBERRY
03-24-2010, 05:44 PM
My brother shot the crosshairs loose from his BSA 8-32 power scope using his 7mm magnum. I think your 300 mag might do the same since recoil is more than the 7mm. BTW congratulations on your new stick.

OKMike
03-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I hope I don't shoot anything loose since it is a borrowed scope :( It was a 100 deal my buddy picked up. I'm waiting on the new vortex to hit the shelves.

OKMike
03-24-2010, 09:17 PM
MT HUNTER

What dos your barrel crown feel like? Mine has a sharp lip protruding from the rifling, kinda ragged???? Don't know whats up.

thanks

Mike

MT_Hunter
03-26-2010, 03:55 AM
OKMike
It has a bit of a ragged look/feel to it but nothing actually extending beyond the end of the crown (IIRC, the gun is at home). I thought the same thing initially but I'm not too concerned because I don't plan to let anything get near the crown. I don't want to muck it up. I would imagine it wouldn't hurt to have a smith recut the crown but then again it may not help either. The only negative I've noticed is the end of the rifling tends to snag and pickup an occassional fiber from the lining of my gun case. Inconvenient but I can live with it.

Ryan

parkj5
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM
i just bought the same gun from Jim also . i have shoot 2 boxes 180 grn. of winn. power points for barrel break in only going to load up some 165 accubonds with 75 grn of R22 and see how she shoots. i bought it to hunt with as i hunt from box stands 95 % of the time.going to try some 300 yard shooting with the 165's .my only thing about the gun is the long action makes it hard to get the eye relief i need for my glasses.cannot slide the scope back far enough. i ordered some burris dd rings and bases and the vx-3 4.4x14x50 is to short i had to buy some leupold rings and bases to mount the scope.i like the burris sig rings alot better so if yall no of a diff. mount the is extened it would help thanks guys.