PDA

View Full Version : What are you wearing in the scrub?

Gunome
03-22-2014, 03:26 AM
I am doing a bit of a comparison on what hunters are wearing in the bush to conceal themselves from the creatures they hunt.

I understand camo gear, how it works and how to utilise it to assist you in the stalk.

What are you wearing and why?

And maybe an answer to this question, if the creatures we stalk and hunt have black and white vision, eg Deer, goats and porkers, why is it that most cammo clothing is in colour form and not pre laid in blacks, whites and greys?

Your answers and thoughts are much appreciated.

Gunome

COplains
03-22-2014, 04:06 AM
For knee/waist high grass/scrub/brush land, which is mostly what I hunt, I use old style military desert camo from the '70s...it is 'wide' format, in other words, it doesn't look like a big blob of solid 'color' to an animal from a distance, no matter if they see in color or not..which is still being debated. Just sayin'. kb

mazda3gun
03-22-2014, 10:09 AM
My granddad told me once, "Nick, I never understood this whole craze about camo clothes. I've seen my dad kill a hundred deer and turkey in his life and only be wearing blue coveralls or a flannel and jeans, I've done it myself too. The first time i ever saw the idea of camo, and I told him it didn't make sense, dad was painting stripes on his old coveralls with black/green/gray/brown paint.
Now, this was in the early 1900's Nick, about the 30's and 40's. Camo may not be totally necassary, but we should've got a dang patent!"

mazda3gun
03-22-2014, 10:18 AM
But yea, I wear Realtree AP, Xtra, and Xtra green. Depending on seasons and time of year. I also use face paint til the skeeters come out, then I break out the face net. Those patterns work best here in Kentucky, and I've always worn Realtree, not that junky Mossy Oak. :p

My guess is camo is to break up the outline as a human, to blend in better with you habitat. It really doesn't matter what you wear, smell like, or anything. Just sit still and be patient.

Not to bash on you Gunome, but deer see in color. Not as vibrant and clear as us, but they do see color. I'm not sure which is higher, but their rod:cone ratio isn't too far off from ours.

Kill N Grill
03-23-2014, 12:08 AM
For deer hunting I wear ASAT. All Season All Terrain. For turkey I use Realtree AP. For coyote I use a ghuilli suit.

bootsmcguire
03-23-2014, 12:42 AM
For Deer hunting here we have to wear blaze Orange unless you are bow hunting and even then you have to wear orange when going to and from your stand technically although most don't so the tan and earth Carharts have been my go-to. For Waterfowl I have a nice waterproof jacket/coat combo from the Bone Dry series from Red Head in Mossy Oak Duckblind pattern and matching gloves and hat and then I have pair of Carhart insulated pants in a earth brown to go with it. For Coyote I want to get a Ghillie Suit but so far I have just been using whatever old camo I have and a white sheet with a hole in the center worn as a poncho for snowy days.

coyote204
03-23-2014, 04:41 AM
The camo breaks up your outline so you are not so easily seen. Coyotes pick up movement better than a deer. They also see shades of blue, this isn't a factor if a coyote hasn't been trained to associate blue with danger. Since blue does stand out to a coyote if you have blue on and move they are more apt to see it.

Balljoint
03-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Deer hunting one year sitting on stand (three tree's one a stump to sit on) with 180 dig sight area wearing Orange camo (Pa must have 200 inch orange on) had THREE Doe's walk right up to me with in ten feet and start to browse on acorns just sat there for fifteen min. then had to move slowly to shoot the six pointer that followed them in he was nice and fat and good eating.
I know story too long

BillPa
03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
(Pa must have 200 inch orange on)

Correction, its a minimum of 250 sq. in, head, chest and back combined and must be visible 360 degrees.

Bill

Balljoint
03-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks your correct my bad!!

BillPa
03-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks your correct my bad!!

Naw, I'm a retired HTE instructor. It used to be 100 sq but with the 250 sq now I look like a 250 pound pumpkin!:p

Bill

Stockrex
03-24-2014, 09:58 PM
camo undies, thermals, socks are my fav poke-a-fun items. an animal will probably smell u before they see or hear you. don't forget the matching camo rifle sling and bino straps. ;-)
I guess the animal score the hunters attire!
I keep a weather layer in backpack and just wear silent fleece or similar.

NOOTKA NICK
03-28-2014, 02:09 PM
I am doing a bit of a comparison on what hunters are wearing in the bush to conceal themselves from the creatures they hunt.

I understand camo gear, how it works and how to utilise it to assist you in the stalk.

What are you wearing and why?

And maybe an answer to this question, if the creatures we stalk and hunt have black and white vision, eg Deer, goats and porkers, why is it that most cammo clothing is in colour form and not pre laid in blacks, whites and greys?

Your answers and thoughts are much appreciated.
G'Day M8 , only thing I do not wear in the bush is blue jeans. Wear green,brown, or whatever camo FITS on that day.
Wear loggers shirts/sometimes insulated. Looks like a Scottish TARTIN design. . blue/green/red. breaks up outline. blue jeans really stand out on mountain sides. A M8 from PERTH W.A. wears old diggers hat, mil-surp shorts and shirt. think he wears camo gotch when cooling off in creek pools when hunting KAKADU. cheers NOOTKA NICK a.k.a. Glenno.
Gunome8888

Road Rat
03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
MOVEMENT spooks animals. I wear whatever I want. Normally jeans and flannel shirt. Bright orange as required.

mazda3gun
03-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I sure am glad KY only requires solid orange on the head and upper body, visible 360* or course. However, during early whitetail bow season, when all other seasons for all other species aren't in, you don't have to wear orange at all. Also, I hunt on private property and have yet to see another hunter while out so I don't wear orange other than a hat, or vest, or handkerchief around the neck. Seen their stands and signs(aka TRASH) but never seen another hunter. Don't wanna be decked out in solid head to toe, need to keep the profile broken.

yobuck
03-28-2014, 04:17 PM
we sit all day every day and glass in some windy spots. keeping warm is the important thing for me.
layers preferably with a wool sweater and pants covered with plain brown carhart bibs and a down parka on cold days.
i always have extra in the jeep which is usually close by. including military mickey mouse boots and extra wool socks.

7stwluvr
04-01-2014, 01:59 PM
For mountain hunting and the plains here in ok I really like gore's optifade (Sitka) for timber I have an old set of Columbia woolflauge that seems to work well. The wind and movement are more critical to me than sight. But that's just me.