PDA

View Full Version : Is this '14' stainless?

Sporting Lad
03-21-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm considering this "Savage 14" in .308. The tag says it's 'stainless steel'. To me, it just looks like it's been bead-blasted, but it's not really
stainless. My gun shop guy says it's a "special alloy" from Savage. But magnets are sticking to it. Maybe it's just a regular '14' that the factory
painted grey. Can anyone tell me what this finish is? I thought the SS version was the '114'...?

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/SportingLad/052.jpg
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/SportingLad/055.jpg

clintsrv
03-21-2014, 07:04 PM
I can't answer your specific question, but that is certainly one beautiful rifle!

bootsmcguire
03-21-2014, 07:05 PM
Savage's Stainless has a kinda of "bead blasted" finish to it on most of them.

14 designates this as a short action and 114 would be a long action.

Many grades of stainless steel have lightly higher iron contents and as such magnets will stick to them.

Savage has not made a painted grey rifle that I am aware of.

It all looks to be correct to me, Model 14 in SS in 308.

Westcliffe01
03-21-2014, 07:08 PM
The barrel is 416 stainless steel and is most certainly magnetic. Not sure what material the receiver is made from, but it is stainless steel also. My only question mark is the bolt. Not sure if Savage makes a true stainless bolt body.

Bsaically the model 14, 12 and 16 receivers are identical and they are the best that Savage offers other than the target actions.

A couple of years ago the finish on the stainless actions and barrels used to be much better. But in the last year or so Savage has cheapened it up and gone with a very agressive bead blast that I personally do not like.

jonbearman
03-21-2014, 07:37 PM
That thing looks like it has been painted or nickeled.Where did you buy it or going to buy it.It could be a store special like what dicks sporting goods has made up as a proprietary model that they only sell. If it wasnt SS you could watch it rust before your eyes almost.It is either real stainless or nickel(electroless nickel)plated.The tag you speak of,is it a factory tag or the shops own tag?

Sporting Lad
03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Hey, thanks so much for your prompt replies, guys! I guess I was hoping for that brushed alloy look with the lineation in it, rather than that blasted blasted finish.
Well, I'm going to go for it and just hope that the appearance will 'grow on me' as we become more acquainted.
Ach! Sure, the scope I've picked out is black! Good luck finding it in the SS blasted finish! :0 |

Westcliffe01
03-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Friend of mine just bought a model 12 VLP and the metal work on it looked identical. For me that means I have to look for used 12"s and 14/16 in future. No more factory fresh stainless models until Savage changes their ways. Hope someone from the factory is listening, but I doubt it.

243LPR
03-22-2014, 10:26 AM
I thought the designation for stainless was 16,not 14.(116/16)

Westcliffe01
03-22-2014, 11:54 AM
At the time this article was written http://www.guns.com/reviews/savage-model-14-american-classic/ The model 14 and 114 were offered in stainless steel. According to the current Savage website they have discontinued stainless for this model, as well as the fine blueing, now going with a blasted "matt" finish... Another loss for Savage. I have a 114 in stainless steel that was built into a 6.5x284 and it has a beautiful stainless finish.

bootsmcguire
03-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I thought the designation for stainless was 16,not 14.(116/16)

Nope, there were 14/114's offered in SS along with a bunch of different Model 12/112's that were and are offered in SS.

Savage has really dropped the ball on having a finer selection of rifles than many of the competitors.

Sporting Lad
03-22-2014, 01:25 PM
I'm on the way to convincing myself that I'm "OK with it"-- ('It is what it is')-- Kind of reminds me of the Parkerizing on my M-14.
Besides--who wants the sun glinting off a shiny barrel and receiver? Give away your position!
Now I feel the need to apologize to my friendly neighbourhood pusher, er, DEALER... for doubting the correctness of his knowledge.
Still, I wonder if I couldn't at least polish that bolt handle? :o

geargrinder
03-22-2014, 02:24 PM
... My only question mark is the bolt. Not sure if Savage makes a true stainless bolt body......

I remember Fred saying that all bolt bodies are chromoly.

Sporting Lad
03-22-2014, 02:35 PM
I remember Fred saying that all bolt bodies are chromoly.

So can I polish the bolt handle to a high luster? If not 'chrome-like', then at least more like I think SS should look?
I wouldn't want to polish off a finish and end up with something looking like pot metal... :0 |

geargrinder
03-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Bolt bodies are chromoly. I believe the handles are can be either.

Westcliffe01
03-22-2014, 05:23 PM
I think the bolt bodies on the stainless are either plated or painted with something like cerakote to look silver. I think one can get aftermarket stainless ones, but so far I have not found that a big issue. It is possible that I may get some corrosion from condensation inside the bolt (one hardly ever takes it apart) but so far has not been an issue.

Westcliffe01
03-22-2014, 05:26 PM
When you go to your local gun store or to the range, keep an eye out for anyone with the original finish stainless version. I think the way it was is definitely better. One still has the choice to finish it however one wants (cerakote or a wrap for predator hunting) but it would be a really difficult job trying to polish up one of the new sandblasted models.

geargrinder
03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes the bodies come in different finishes. Polished, jeweled, parked......

Sporting Lad
03-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Yeah. I've seen the original finish stainless version. That was the one I thought I wanted, but this is the one I got. I had another
rifle just before I got this Savage (it was Chinese) that was ... defective... so I returned it for an 'in-store credit' at our little 'Mom n Pop' LGS for the one Savage they had in stock.
I finally just got tired of dicking around trying to sight in bad rifles and decided to go for an 'out-of-the-box' MOA capable rifle.
I already had a Savage .22 I'd gotten from them, so when Pop suggested this .308 '14, there was no contest. I liked it better than several other choices he showed me under $1500.
I just was a bit disappointed in the finish. Pop did assure me it was SS, but I doubted him. This morning I felt I had to go over there and apologize
to him for my lack of faith :0 |

("This is my rifle. There are not many like it, and this one is mine...")