PDA

View Full Version : 308 Stevens 200 conversion to 6.5 CM

bflee
03-21-2014, 04:37 PM
What do I need to change besides the barrel?
What barrel do you recommend for heavy target/varmint/ deer?
I need to change the stock also. What recommendations?
These are all for my friend who has this rifle and was really shocked with my 12LRP at the hayfield last week. The rifle now has a sporter barrel and just doesnt cut it.
Thanks for information. We are trying to keep prices down as much as possible.

ScoutSnyper
03-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Since you're going to a cartridge that uses the same action length and bolt head there is nothing mor you have to do other then change the barrel. Regarding what contour, what is your intended purpose? Once you decide on contour that will determine I'd you need to change stocks or not. Just curious as to what part of the sporter barrel wasn't cutting it and what "it" was?

bflee
03-21-2014, 07:52 PM
It would walk after five or six shots and we assumed it was heat on the sporter barrel. He was looking for a target/long range hunting contour anyway. I told him to bed it first and try it before getting crazy, but he was shooting against my new 6.5 CM 12 LRP. He didnt fare too well!

jonbearman
03-22-2014, 10:48 AM
With a sporter barrel you cant fire a bunch of rounds in succesion as the thin barrels heat up quick.If you pace yourself and allow the barrel to cool between shots and strings of fire you will do better.I would change it out to a varmint barrel if he intends to hunt with it.If you put a bull barrel on he will regret it because you have to carry it for long distance's and hold it still to make your shot.You could keep the original barrel and buy the new barrel for target work and then change back to the sporter tube around hunting season to resight it in.