PDA

View Full Version : Receiver bolt torque sequence for a 111 LRH

2footroper
03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Hello Y'all,
I am brand new to Savage and this thread. I recently purchased a 111 LRH w/ acu stock and trigger. The prevoius owner used it to shoot 1 mile compition and would get 12" groups. I purchased it to hunt elk in Colorado. The rifle is stock. He had to remove the action from the stock to ship it to me. I don't want to screw anything up by tightening anything out of sequence or too tight. From what I've found I should tighten the front first then the back screw. I did find this link http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?265-Proper-Torque-Sequence-For-The-AccuStock but it is for a different model as it says to tighten 3 screws when I only have two. If in fact this gun is shooting as well as stated I don't want to change a thing. Just a good quality scope and I should be on my way. I build custom ARs so I'm no stranger to tools and want to do this right. Thanks in advance for any help.

thomae
03-24-2014, 08:16 AM
AccuStocks had three screws for about the first year they came out, subsequently eliminating the third screw and only using 2. Just do the same thing as the article says, but with your two screws and you will be fine.

2footroper
03-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Thomae,
Thanks for the reassurance. I did just that and it worked fine as far as I can tell. I noticed that the very front of the stock can touch the barrel if I twist it even a little bit. Seems like I need to look for a new stock. I've been on Stockys site for the whole day yesterday and found some nice options but there isn't alot available for this particular rifle. Any suggestions? I am still searching though and hope to settle on something in the next day or two so I can get the ball rolling incase it needs to be backordered. Meanwhile I am going to remove this stock and sand down the front lip a bit untill I am comfortable with the clearance. I still need optics and I want to shoot this baby so I have alot to do on my plate but I am a BIG Eater;) .
Thanks for the help.

jonbearman
03-24-2014, 09:33 AM
What ever you do buy a quality scope as the cheaper ones wont repeat very well. So stay with the top names which include leupold,weaver,sightron,vortex,bushnell etc.Just dont buy an entry level of any of last 3 mentioned,you will be disappointed and have wasted money on something you will have trouble unloading.

2footroper
03-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Actually I have it narrowed down to 3, Nightforce, Huskemaw, or possibly a Burris Eliminator III. I read a pretty good review on the latter and it was put side by side with a Leica rangefinder and actually equaled it and at one point outperformed it in the rain. Lots to think about. I just received an email from Stocky's and was told they don't have any options for me as I have an Accu stock on the gun. :confused: I think they ment nothing in stock.

2footroper
03-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Actually I have it narrowed down to 3, Nightforce, Huskemaw, or possibly a Burris Eliminator III. I read a pretty good review on the latter and it was put side by side with a Leica rangefinder and actually equaled it and at one point outperformed it in the rain. Lots to think about. I just received an email from Stocky's and was told they don't have any options for me as I have an Accu stock on the gun. :confused: I thought they might have mistaken my question thinking I was looking for something in stock. Just got another email from them saying they have nothing to fit my needs in stock or otherwise. They did give me a link for Manners to check. Any input on their products. Man I had my sights set on either a Bell & Carlson Medalist, an Alaskan Wilderness.

Blitzfike
03-24-2014, 10:49 AM
I've had good luck with the Millett scopes. A good starting point is the 4X16X50mm, you can find it for about $300.00 I have had no problems with it holding zero. I have its big brother on my song range 300 win mag.

2footroper
03-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Darn, now I have another to think about. Completely forgot about Millett.

2footroper
06-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Got my stock back from the refinisher yesterday. Today I cleaned up all the interrior areas and mounted the action to the stock. I now have a problem with the rear most hole behind the trigger guard. It feels like it's going to strip out if I try to torque it at all.:( It is just threaded into the plastic of the stock and not machined into the action at all. Is this a big problem or should I not worry and snug it up?:confused: Any suggestions?

BillPa
06-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Got my stock back from the refinisher yesterday. Today I cleaned up all the interrior areas and mounted the action to the stock. I now have a problem with the rear most hole behind the trigger guard. It feels like it's going to strip out if I try to torque it at all.:( It is just threaded into the plastic of the stock and not machined into the action at all. Is this a big problem or should I not worry and snug it up?:confused: Any suggestions?

That screw only holds the rear of the guard, it doesn't need "torqued" until it strips the threads plus two turns! Just snug is "good'n nuff".

Bill

2footroper
06-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Thank You Bill. As soon as I get Photobucket account set up I'll post some pics.

That screw only holds the rear of the guard, it doesn't need "torqued" until it strips the threads plus two turns! Just snug is "good'n nuff".

Bill