PDA

View Full Version : 110 Bolt stuck closed

cory99
03-20-2014, 11:26 PM
I was working on my savage the other night because I was unable to slide the safety so I took the trigger off and was adjusting the screw to take out the slack in hopes that would help. Not sure what happened but my bolt is now stuck closed. I even removed the whole trigger assembly and cannot get it to release. I did also notice the bolt retaining pin is broke in half and fell out but not sure if that is related to my current issue. Anyone have any ideas of how to get it out or what might be causing it to be stuck?

Thanks
Cory

foxx
03-20-2014, 11:37 PM
I can't imagine what happened, either, but I'd remove the bolt handle and disassemble the bolt while in the action, then the bolt heads will fall out also.

I think.

jonbearman
03-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Take the big screw out of the bolt and gut the bolt .If that pin broke then the other half is stuck into the race way and you may have to tip the gun and take a block of wood and tap the opposite side to suck it back in by inertia and then maybe it will unlock it to remove it.

foxx
03-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Are you sure you are pulling the trigger and pushing the bolt release at the same time? If the bolt release moves, I can't see what would prevent it from being removed.

cory99
03-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks I started to try and take the bolt apart but wasnt sure how to get all the pieces out of the inside so stopped before I did more damage. Will the springs and everything just come right out of the bolt are is there some tricks that I should be aware of.

foxx
03-20-2014, 11:48 PM
With the screw and bolt handle off, tip it up and shake and hit like Jon said. May have to try to twist/rotate it with your hand... not sure, but trying to take it apart will not hurt anything.

cory99
03-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Problem is I cant remove the bolt handle only the big screw since it is stuck closed. I am wondering if the other half the retaining pin didn't fall out and bound up like Jon mentioned

bootsmcguire
03-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Guys stop and think about this for a sec. :yield:

If the bolt is inside the action, he can't remove the "button" on the side of the bolt because it pulls straight out and you can't do that inside the action. Hence he can't remove the bolt body from the bolt head or get the firing pin assembly out.

Cory99, which pin exactly are you calling the "Bolt Retaining Pin" just so we are clear.

If you are talking about the bolt head retaining pin towards the front of the bolt, then possibly as said above you can remove the BAS at the back of the bolt and ease the pressure against the pin and get it to fall out.

What you may have to do, is remove the BAS. Then remove the barrel and slide the bolt out the front of the action. this way you shouldn't have to rotate the bolt, it will just slide out the front since the pc of the busted pin is preventing rotation.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: I just tried this on one of my actions and I couldn't simulate the broken pin, but otherwise the bolt just slid free of the bolt handle and rear baffle and came right out of the front of the action.

Try to get it out without removing the barrel of course, but if you must it looks like it will work.

Hotolds442
03-21-2014, 01:46 AM
There are two pins in a Savage bolt, not including the ejector retaining pin. The one nearest the bolt handle is the cocking piece pin, and the one nearest the chamber is the bolt head retaining pin. If the cocking piece pin is broken, it can generally be removed by removing the bolt assembly screw at the rear of the bolt. After removal, you'll be able to look inside and see the cocking piece sleeve. You can usually get the sleeve to slide rearward, towards the open hole vacated by the bolt assembly screw, slide it back, until the round recess in the slot lines up with the broken pin, you can't see it, but it'll stop when it reaches the end of its travel. Hold the rifle in one hand, with the bolt handle pointing towards the floor, and hit the stock with the palm of your hand. If the hole in the slot is lined up, the rest of the broken pin will fall into position so that you can now rotate the bolt. If it's the bolt head retaining pin, follow Boots' recommendations above.

ETA: Make sure that the safety is in the forward position, and not the rearward position. The bolt is locked in place if the safety is all the way to the rear.

cory99
03-23-2014, 03:42 PM
It was the bolt head retaining pin that broke in half. I was able to get it to fall back in place today with a small screwdriver through the other side and got my bolt out. This is a 30-06 rifle do you know if that will be the small or large pin (I am assuming the large ones were for magnum rifles). I also will need a new safety selector since the thumb piece broke in half, I see midway offers one but both reviews say it was taller and required filing, does anyone have a recommendation of where to get one of them as well?

bootsmcguire
03-23-2014, 05:18 PM
How old is your Savage? If it was made after 1995 you can call Savage and should be able to get the parts.

The larger diameter firing pins were on the older guns and the newer ones are the small diameter. I am not for sure where the cut-off point is when they made that switch, but if you have a round rear action I am willing to bet it is a small diameter.

cory99
03-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Mines an older one F001913 so assuming since low number probably 89 or 90.

bootsmcguire
03-23-2014, 05:56 PM
I'd get a large just to be safe, I have run the large on a small pin before with no ill effects. I know the pin diameters are posted around here some place, I'll look and see if I can find the post. If not I may just have to take a couple of my bolts apart and measure them, ;).

cory99
03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
I am pretty sure I have the large one by looking at the pics online mine broke right in the center where its at the thinnest point and looking how thin that was its got to be the large one problem now is no one has that in stock and I see mention that savage may have quit making that one.

bootsmcguire
03-23-2014, 06:53 PM
You could buy the smaller version and drill it out, or buy the smaller pin with the smaller firing pin and just switch it out. IIRC the firing pin is pretty cheap. then just switch your pin hardware over to it, reset your protrusion and bam, you're all set.

fgw_in_fla
03-23-2014, 06:56 PM
I left a message on his other post. The one where he can't locate a replacement bolt head retainer with the big hole.

You need one?
I got one.

thomae
03-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Since the OP has started a new thread asking where he can locate the parts he needs, this thread has served it's purpose and is now closed.