PDA

View Full Version : headspacing with brass only 6BR

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
03-22-2014, 01:06 AM
But then I was thinking, "Is 'correct' what will work for any round, factory or not? Or is it better to headspace for my specific dies and brass?" I think I'd like to have Go gauges for each caliber I have and also headspace for my dies. Unfortunately, I do not even have FL dies for all my cartridges. Maybe I need to get those, regardless.

What makes it expensive is I have bought so many used Savages (for good prices) in the past few months I can't afford to scope them all or get all the dies, brass, bullets and gauges I might really need. Why I did so is a story for another thread and another day. Part of it is due to the fact I want to try different stocks, barrels, triggers, bullets and cartridges. I also have bought some rifles intending to do some builds for friends and myself. In short, I am now a full-blown Savage addict. Frank and Boots, et al can joke about the "Savage Addiction" it all they want, but I am one for real, and I got it BAD! :)

For example, I see a NIB Stevens 7mm-08 on Gunbroker for $245 and I think I gotta have it. Well, now I gotta get a set of gauges for it, too, b/c the dang thing needs to be head-spaced b/c the original bolt was lost and had to be replaced. This stuff adds up! Dang it all, I don't even want a 7-08! LOL Maybe it would be better to sell that barrel for a $50 and not invest in the gauges to headspace it... But maybe my buddy Rick would like to have a 7mm-08... I'll hold on to it for a while, see what he says. LOL I wonder how it would look in a Boyd's Thumbhole? I hear Fred does a heck of a job truing up these actions... Maybe I'll send him this one and see for myself what that's all about. The heck with Rick, he can find his own deal, I'm keeping this one! LOL

Guys,it never ENDS! I am a freak! I need help! No, I just need another 110 in another cartridge I never thought I would ever want or need. LOL

FW Conch
03-22-2014, 11:05 AM
foxx, you are "bit bad"! But that's good. We should all be so fortunate as to have the Savage problems you have.

But the question is " Headspacing with Brass". IMHO, for those of us who understand what we are doing, and reload, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Where I would not be comfortable with it, say I would pass the rifle on to a young grand niece or grand nephew, friend, relative, etc., etc. In that case I would use the "Go" gauge. That way I would be backed up by an "Industry Standard". And I would not pass on a "Wildcat" to anyone who did not understand exactly what they are getting.

It seems you have not hesitated to put the money out there to take advantage of the "good deals"! My advise would be, spend what ever money is necessary to complete the "good deal"' have fun, enjoy, and don't look back! ;-))

Good Luck-Good Building-Good Shooting.........Jim ;-))

BillPa
03-22-2014, 03:28 PM
I see a NIB Stevens 7mm-08 on Gunbroker for $245 and I think I gotta have it. Well, now I gotta get a set of gauges for it, too, b/c the dang thing needs to be head-spaced b/c the original bolt was lost and had to be replaced. I don't even want a 7-08! LOL

Ah, buy the stink'n gauges or at least the Go then you have it (them?) for the rest of the 308 family of cartridges your gonna get. Since it seems you can't control your spending habits your gonna need it (them) again anyway for the 338 Federal you going to get. (Whoops, my bad!:p)

Bill