PDA

View Full Version : Question on clamp on muzzle brakes

mugsie
03-20-2014, 06:10 PM
I built my savage .308 using a Shilen barrel. It shoots teeny tiny little groups. Only problem is because of prior shoulder surgery, which include several anchors to hold it together, the .308 beats me up after 10 or so rounds. So, I did a lot of research, and decided on purchasing a clamp on brake. It hasn't arrived yet, so I won't comment on the workmanship etc. What I am curious about is, have any of you used a clamp on brake? If so, how did it affect accuracy? It could remain the same, improve more or get worse, what was your experience? Worst case is I'll need to work up a new load, but that's a lot of the fun in shooting anyway. I don't mind doing it again.

So what say ye?

jonbearman
03-20-2014, 06:22 PM
The only thing it might do is change your point of impact and you may have to tune your load alittle.Some claim they collapse the barrel slightly.Put it on and follow their instructions carefully and your shoulder will thank you.Who's did you buy by chance?

mugsie
03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Witt Machine's. If their brake is anything like their customer service, this gun will shoot every shot itself and into the same hole! I can't say enough good things about dealing with them.