PDA

View Full Version : Savage answers poor group woes

Pages : 1 [2]

earl39
04-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Bedding the tang comes from the Remington crowd where the rear action screw goes into the tang. As anyone with a Savage action can tell just by looking the rear action screw is not going into the tang of a Savage but well in front of it which can put the tang in a bind if not floated. That folks is why the tang of a Remington and its clones should be bedded and the Savage tang should not.

Luke45
04-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Bedding the tang comes from the Remington crowd where the rear action screw goes into the tang. As anyone with a Savage action can tell just by looking the rear action screw is not going into the tang of a Savage but well in front of it which can put the tang in a bind if not floated. That folks is why the tang of a Remington and its clones should be bedded and the Savage tang should not.
+1 Exactly

limige
04-15-2014, 03:09 AM
Agreed

BillPa
04-15-2014, 09:03 AM
As anyone with a Savage action can tell just by looking the rear action screw is not going into the tang of a Savage but well in front of it which can put the tang in a bind if not floated.

If the stock was bedded correctly the tang won't bind. Its why you bed a stock to an action, not an action to a stock.

Bill

Teancum1
04-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Did a 20 Vartarg build. I floated the tang and the rifle shot beautifully. What I found my rifle to be very sensitive to was the action screw torque. Cinch it down hard (around 30 lbs) and it wouldn't group worth a darn. Just snug them good - about 25 lbs - and it came right back. Can't say that it was a 4th or 5th shot though, it just wouldn't group well.

limige
04-15-2014, 09:55 PM
The only thing that makes sense here is something is hitting when the gun warms up. Barrel nut possibly?

foxx
04-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Did a 20 Vartarg build. I floated the tang and the rifle shot beautifully. What I found my rifle to be very sensitive to was the action screw torque. Cinch it down hard (around 30 lbs) and it wouldn't group worth a darn. Just snug them good - about 25 lbs - and it came right back. Can't say that it was a 4th or 5th shot though, it just wouldn't group well.

Tean, I don't want to appear to criticize your work, but it is my understanding that what you describe is an indication the action is stressed or binding in the stock and bedding material. My guess is when it was bedded, the action was under stress possibly due to using action screws to draw the action into the bedding material when bedding it in the first place. Ideally, those screws should turn freely then suddenly stop and not have any noticeable change in POI when tightened to various amounts of torque. If it does, there's a reason, and the only one I can think of is it is flexing or binding under stress. It action should not flex or bind under any circumstances if bedded properly.