PDA

View Full Version : Successful build, just one issue. any advice?

Jason161
03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
So after all the help I finally got to range and broke in the barrel. Everything worked great except for one issue I can't figure out how to fix.
The rifle shoots then when I open bolt to eject case and close it to chamber next round, the bolt will not pickup the next round from the mag, unless I push up on the magazine. The rifle is a model 11 hog hunter in a new Boyds stock with an accurate mag dBm. Everything fit fine and the inlet seemed perfect but unless I push up on the magazine it won't chamber.
It seems after every shot the recoil causes the mag to slip down enough to not pickup a round next time I close bolt. So after every shot almost I had to push up on mag. This is rather annoying and will affect me shooting tactical matches. Any advice on what to do? My only though is that I need to get the stocks dBm inlet milled a tad bit deeper, which sucks cause too deep and I'm screwed too..
Anyone encounter this before?
I should note the stock is not pillar bed just a skim bed of expoxy on the lug, so there is no pillars causing it to sit too high.

foxx
03-19-2014, 10:55 PM
I am about to build a Hog Hunter with a Savage DBM assembly (from a model 10 hunter) into a Tacticool, also. I can see it very likely to not be seated deep enough for the rounds to pick up properly. If that's the case, go ahead and inlet it deeper and don't be afraid to go too deep. If you do go too deep, just get some JB Weld and bed the mag assembly so it's not so deep again. As you said, it has to be just the right height. Not a big deal, though. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. Take a dremel to it. From my experience, there's nothing on a stock that can't be changed or corrected with a dremel and/or JB Weld. :)

Jetpig
03-20-2014, 08:06 AM
If you can push up on the mag and it will work, it sounds like your mag release is too short. Did you do any grinding or cutting on the tip of the mag release? I have the CDI and paperwork that came with it said if the mag sticks up too high and doesn't allow the bolt to function, to trim the tip of the mag release so as to drop the level of the mag. Sounds like you have the opposite problem.

Jason161
03-20-2014, 09:05 AM
No I didn't touch the accurate mag metal or mag. Its completely the way it came. Ill look at it more today and then guess ill try to take a 1/8" off stock and see how that works unless anyone else has an idea.
But yeah its super close cause when I push up on it, it doesn't move much to get it to grab a round.

Jetpig
03-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Sounds like the only option is to inlet the stock slightly deeper. Now you have to be careful not to go too deep! Happy cutting!

Jason161
03-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah I agree. I guess I'll try to find someone near Brentwood concord area in east bay California with a mill.. I don't have a dremel WO if I have to spendn$75 on one I mine as well pay to get it milled nice!