PDA

View Full Version : Did Savage make a 6BR and/or .260 small shank stainless barrel?

privateer
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Thinking about adding barrels to use with my .308 or building another rifle on an extra action I have.....

Did Savage make a 6BR or .260 stainless barrel? If not, any recommendations for a good moderately priced aftermarket barrel?

Thx.

82boy
03-17-2010, 03:58 PM
At one point and time Savage did chamber rifles in 260 Rem, it was not a big seller, so production stopped. The barrels was on standard (small) shank action. They are very rare, and would be hard to find. I don't believe that they ever chambered 260 in a varminter contour, if my memory serves me right they was in sporter contour, and I am not sure they was stainless, I think they came in blue. Savage has chambered rifles in 6br for only a couple of years, all the 6br rifles have been offered in large shank. So either way custom barrel is about your only option.

6BR and 260 rem barrels come up frequently in the classified section. What do you consider "moderately priced?" What do you consider "Good?" You may want to try ER Shaw they could chamber a barrel for you. I don't believe Midway's A&B barrels come in either caliber. You could have a gunsmith turn down a large shank factory barrel to a standard shank.

My suggestion would be to spend a few more bucks and have Northland, drop ship you a Shilen.

hank440
03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a 16 FCSS from the custom shop in .260 rem the barrel is a heavy sporter ;D