PDA

View Full Version : This is pillar bedding? NOT!!

Texas Solo
03-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Took my new BVSS 308 apart to float the tang (it was really tight to the wood)
I noticed that the rear pillar doesn't even make contact with the action. Instead, the action contacts the magazine retainer clip, and there's a very small gap between the clip and the pillar because the clip is sitting on wood, up off the pillar. This kind of ticks me off. What's the point of pillar bedding if you're going to stick a magazine clip on top of the pillar, and it doesn't even touch the pillar?? The front pillar shows nice even contact in two places.

So, should I remove the clip and a little wood to get the clip to rest squarely on the pillar, or just let it compress over time? (about 1/32") I set the rear action screw to 30 inch pounds.

I'm having an issue with groupings, as in 3 shots touching then 2 shots 1-1/2" - 2" out. This is consistent across all the loads I've been trying to develop.
Barrel is well floated all the way to, and including, the nut.
Haven't been able to get to range since floating it, so hopefully the float job on the tang alone will fix it??

eddiesindian
03-18-2014, 09:12 PM
I hear you...it can be frustrating.
Cant be sure untill you give it a go.
To bad you dont have another stock that has a good aluminum V block for bedding to give it a try.

Texas Solo
03-18-2014, 09:25 PM
I hear you...it can be frustrating.
Cant be sure untill you give it a go.
To bad you dont have another stock that has a good aluminum V block for bedding to give it a try.

Actually I do...sort of. I have a Choate Tactical stock laying around, but it's a DBM and I don't have a spare bottom metal to put it together with. The BVSS is a blind mag.

Friday (my next day off) can't come fast enough.

JW
03-19-2014, 06:04 AM
So, should I remove the clip and a little wood to get the clip to rest squarely on the pillar, or just let it compress over time? (about 1/32") I set the rear action screw to 30 inch pounds.

If you do remove the clip, I think you would have to relieve the stock for the action to contact the pillar
The only way to know for sure is to try it
Since the clip holds the magazine in correct position, you might need to do some mods in that area also
All this might solve your group problem, but I would just bed the action and be done with it
I hope this helps
Jack

GaryBF
03-19-2014, 10:13 AM
I agree. I wish I had known these little details before I ever spent the money on mine. Very poor design.

jonbearman
03-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Here is one for you.Try changing the torque on the rear screw only first. Set the front at 45 inch pounds and the rear at 25 inch pounds and shoot a 3 shot group. If it doesnt work keep increasing the rear screw torque in 5 inch pound increments and shoot each 3 shot group till you get up to 40 inch pounds.If you are getting flyers that are unexplained even after doing the torque test,then take a known good scope and put it on this rifle. In the end whether or not the bedding is perfect or not,it will probably be the scope's fault as some of the package scope's are junk out of the box.Make sure you pay strict attention to using a good copper remover like Iosso or JB Bore compound. Savage barrels are copper mines early on and when you have about 200 rounds on it ,it will calm down on being a copper mine to clean out.

Texas Solo
03-19-2014, 06:35 PM
take a known good scope and put it on this rifle. In the end whether or not the bedding is perfect or not,it will probably be the scope's fault as some of the package scope's are junk out of the box.

My Vortex Viper PST is a known good scope. It shot tiny groups when on it's donor rifle.

Package scope???? On a #12BVSS?? I think not. The #12 BVSS has never been offered as a package deal.

Savage6x284
03-20-2014, 03:31 AM
The rear pillar on a Savage is so ludicrously tiny as to be near useless under the best circumstances.

I agree with JW, just bed it and forget about the rear pillarette.