PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Heavy barrel bmag thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Lonewulf
04-02-2014, 12:52 AM
I just used a deep well socket about the same size as the barrel.

how much did you have to open it up? haven't had time to do anything with mine yet, but thinking about ordering thumbhole stock and making it fit myself instead of waiting of boyds to come out with one done already

n4ue
04-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Yet another range report of the SS BMag with a new scope.

OK, today was calm and 80 degrees, perfect day to shoot (ain't they all?) ha ha
Yesterday, I got my new silver Mueller 4.5-14X40mm scope. I mounted it with Weaver #49056 Quad rings (silver of course). It is a perfect fit. This scope came with a free sunshade. I had to remove a tiny amount of plastic from the front lens cover. The scope clears the bbl by .050".
I have several other larger Muellers and really like them. It's clear enough that at 50 yds, you can read the numbers on the 6" shoot-n-c targets. .17 cal bullet holes look pretty big.

OK, there's the part that has me stunned.....
I got the scope dialed in with a few 25 gr ctgs.
I also brought some 20s with me. I was shocked to see the 20s shoot 3/4" higher. Left to right, exactly the same! Small cloverleaf group. Yes, this was at 50 yds where my portable bench is right now.

The original rifle first couldn't shoot a good group if it's life depended on it and the difference between 25s and 20s was huge. Can't wait to bring the Oehler 33 to the range.

If all the new rifles are like this, Savage is gonna sell a ton of them!!!!

If one was to be really anal, the finish of the scope is 'brighter', than the finish on the rifle. Easy to fix, I've polished other SS rifles with a buffer wheel.

gud luk

ron

bremereric
04-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Yet another range report of the SS BMag with a new scope.

OK, today was calm and 80 degrees, perfect day to shoot (ain't they all?) ha ha
Yesterday, I got my new silver Mueller 4.5-14X40mm scope. I mounted it with Weaver #49056 Quad rings (silver of course). It is a perfect fit. This scope came with a free sunshade. I had to remove a tiny amount of plastic from the front lens cover. The scope clears the bbl by .050".
I have several other larger Muellers and really like them. It's clear enough that at 50 yds, you can read the numbers on the 6" shoot-n-c targets. .17 cal bullet holes look pretty big.

OK, there's the part that has me stunned.....
I got the scope dialed in with a few 25 gr ctgs.
I also brought some 20s with me. I was shocked to see the 20s shoot 3/4" higher. Left to right, exactly the same! Small cloverleaf group. Yes, this was at 50 yds where my portable bench is right now.

The original rifle first couldn't shoot a good group if it's life depended on it and the difference between 25s and 20s was huge. Can't wait to bring the Oehler 33 to the range.

If all the new rifles are like this, Savage is gonna sell a ton of them!!!!

If one was to be really anal, the finish of the scope is 'brighter', than the finish on the rifle. Easy to fix, I've polished other SS rifles with a buffer wheel.

gud luk

ronThanks for posting.

bremereric
04-03-2014, 06:56 PM
I got mine today and don't need to post any pics. But man oh man is the plastic stock flimsy. I will transfer my scope and take it to the range to see what it will do. I can move it from the left to the right about an 1/8". I will call Boyds and see if they are going to build a stock for it.

Lonewulf
04-03-2014, 07:14 PM
I contacted Boyd's and the guy that replied said he thought they were in the works for the SS HB

wonder why Jen from Boyds hasn't been on here in awhile

bremereric
04-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I contacted Boyd's and the guy that replied said he thought they were in the works for the SS HB

wonder why Jen from Boyds hasn't been on here in awhileI submitted the idea on their site and we will see if they respond.

bremereric
04-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I transferred my scope and such over to the new one. Note the barrel shifted to the left in the stock and the clearance at the front of the scope doesn't let me put the cover on. This is just temporary cause when I get some more funds and new scope and hopefully a Boyd's stock will go on it.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/Guns/IMG_1853.jpg~original

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/Guns/IMG_1851.jpg~original

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/Guns/IMG_1852.jpg~original

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/Guns/IMG_1855.jpg~original

Lonewulf
04-04-2014, 06:12 PM
that's about how warped my new one is also, haven't mounted my new scope yet, maybe tomorrow

Sniper Steve
04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
yeah my stock is warped also but doesnt seem to effect the hb

J.Baker
04-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Looked at one yesterday at the gun show, still not at all impressed with the plastic wonder-blunder.

bremereric
04-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Looked at one yesterday at the gun show, still not at all impressed with the plastic wonder-blunder.That's why I contacted Boyd's about a laminate replacement.

J.Baker
04-07-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm talking about the whole gun as a whole - not just the stock.

onegreatshot
04-08-2014, 02:51 AM
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

syvairgunner
04-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Shot my new SS B-Mag yesterday and must say what an improvement. Still have to dial it in but MOA at 100 yards should not be a problem. My stock touched the barrel on the left side so a simple fix: Take the stock off the rifle, put a little heat from a heat gun on the opposite side of the fore stock and put pressure on the stock. Let it cool a bit and then during reassembly tighten the rear mounting screw first and then the front screw, you can put slight pressure on the barrel as you tighten the screw and hopefully things line up.
Being a left handed shooter I get to wait another month or so for Boyd's to come out with a left hand stock. For those wondering if the current stocks well work I have seen pictures of one on: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php. The suggestion was a 3/4" dowel with sand paper to open up the fore stock enough to fit the bull barrel.

Further info to come as the rifle is broken in.

n4ue
04-08-2014, 04:15 PM
I love mine. I polished the bbl and mounted a new Meuller scope and it shoots as good as it looks, which is saying a lot!
Got some spare Savage stocks and already spiderwebbed one for the old rifle.
If it don't shoot, paint it!

(old hot rodder's saying..."if it don't go, chrome it")

ron

Crockett
04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
What is the best product to make that barrel and action black with? I want it to be permanent.

n4ue
04-08-2014, 07:27 PM
I like Norrell, but have heard good things about Cerecoat. A look through the Brownell's catalog should turn up something....

ron

bremereric
04-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Back on the subject I sighted mine in at fifty yards. My last three shots were at the very bottom of the bullseye. I went out to 100 yards and hit bullseye again but then the 25 grain was shooting high. I just shot it and will get the scope great at 100 yards the next time I go.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/Guns/IMG_1865.jpg~original

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad26/bremereric/Guns/IMG_1867.jpg~original

gsperaz
04-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Good shootin !

bremereric
04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Good shootin !Thanks you can see as I dialed in the scope it still shot some pretty close groups. It started way to the right and up. My wife loves it to.